Talk

Advanced search

wide awake at 3 am

(7 Posts)
sleepycat13 Mon 05-Feb-18 04:36:14

let me just start by saying my 4 month old has never been a good sleeper. he is ebf, is fed to sleep and frequently wakes every few hours on a good night. that's another story.

I think we went through the regression at about 3 months as things have marginally improved again since a really bad patch around then.

what I don't understand is why for the past 3 nights he has decided that 3 am is now play time. regardless of how he has slept before then he has woken at 3 am and then refused to go back to sleep. sat there giggling away.
I can't just leave him in his crib as he very quickly gets agitated and cries so currently sat downstairs letting have a play to tire himself out again. last night I managed to get him back to sleep at 5.30 am. he has a slight cold as in slightly snotty nose and occasional coughs and sneezes but is generally well in himself.

despite him being a generally bad sleeper this is a new behaviour.
why is he doing this?

tealandteal Tue 06-Feb-18 21:13:52

No idea why they might be doing it but DS was awake from 3 til 4.15 last night. Fingers crossed for a better night for both of us

sleepycat13 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:28:33

it's like they know they are supposed to be sleeping and they do it on purpose grin

tealandteal Tue 06-Feb-18 21:30:33

When they finish a feed and give you the big eyes and you're torn between how cute they are and thinking "please just go to sleep!!"

Orangepear Tue 06-Feb-18 21:31:37

Both mine have done this, I think it's a developmental thing where their brain can't relax because it's practising/ rehearsing a new skill. I just try to doze beside them until the two hours are up!

crazycatlady5 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:45:44

It doesn’t last don’t worry! It’s happened a handful of times for me in the first year.

sleepycat13 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:10:50

orange that's a good idea

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: