Talk

Advanced search

Strategies for three month old early waking?

(10 Posts)
dustpan Sun 04-Feb-18 09:54:20

Hi all, my baby is 14 weeks and has suddenly started waking frequently from 5 AM. Can anyone advise me strategies to help her fall asleep again?

I have been using dummy and shushing her every 15 minutes or so from 5 AM. But I remember from my first baby this is a dreadful trap to get us both into!

Before now, she would feed until 10 PM, Then fall asleep with dummy in husbands arms, transfer to cosleeper cot, and sleeping until 7 or 8 AM.

BTW, I apologise to those Reading who haven't had my incredible and undeserved luxury of a sleeping baby for the past couple of months, If you feel like shooting me as you read this, please know that I was hideously sleep deprived from the word go with my first baby. I'm posting on here rather than asking real life friends for advice because I feel a bit embarrassed to have had a sleeping baby and I am fearful of it disappearing and going back to the land of hellish sleep deprivation

TIA

Namechangeuser Sun 04-Feb-18 10:00:08

I'm personally of the opinion that there isn't really anything you can do, it's just their natural sleep rhythm at this age and it's always changing.

My dd would wake at 5am most days, and I would lay her on my chest and she would drive back off for an hour or so. I wouldn't sleep at that point, but was happy to just stay in bed and enjoy the cuddles.

She naturally started to extend her sleep to a more reasonable hour. Putting er on my chest caused no "bad habits"

dustpan Sun 04-Feb-18 11:39:02

Thanks namechangeuser, helpful to know how others manage it

Marcine Sun 04-Feb-18 11:42:56

I treat anything before 7 as night. If she hasn't fed since 10pm so feed and back to bed (in her cot or your bed).

By the way it's very common for babies to sleep 8 hours at the start and then start needing more night feeds at 3-4 months, two of mine have done this.

dustpan Sun 04-Feb-18 17:37:07

Thanks Marconi, I'd never heard that before. So when baby wakes at 5am do I offer breast then?

dustpan Sun 04-Feb-18 17:37:38

Sorry Marcine (auto correct!)

Marcine Fri 09-Feb-18 18:22:54

She's probably really hungry by 5am so seems pointless to try to put her off with a dummy rather than feeding. A hungry baby won't settle.

TheVanguardSix Fri 09-Feb-18 18:26:15

Oh what a stellar sleeper!!! I
never had one of those. envywink

Feed her. She's probably super hungry.
Although be prepared for 5am being her new 'wake up' time. I had this with DC3 for a while.

lightcola Fri 09-Feb-18 18:27:42

Yes I would feed her. I would only not if she was also eating 3 meals a day.

Marcine Fri 09-Feb-18 18:39:54

I always do 5am feeds lying down in bed, we strictly never get up before 7 in my house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now