Talk

Advanced search

Room too warm for newborn

(13 Posts)
balljuggla Mon 29-Jan-18 20:04:46

Hi Everyone,

Am about to have my first baby and am a bit worried about our bedroom temperature.

Obviously she'll be in with us for a few months. We live in an Annexe ground floor flat and our landlords upstairs control the heating. We can't ask them to change it, however our bedroom is always bang on 22 degrees and I've read that the best for baby falls between 16 and 20. It does get cooler by the morning. We always sleep with a window open but it does feel very warm at bedtime.

We're planning to swaddle but are a bit confused about what to dress her in for sleep as obviously don't want her getting too hot. At the same time, we don't want her too cold in the morning. Hopefully in a few weeks the heating will come down and it'll be easier.

Has anyone got any advice please? Thanks smile

Lauren2211 Thu 01-Feb-18 06:30:36

My LO didn't like to be swaddled at all so we used a sleeping bad for him instead. You can buy different TOG for the sleeping bags as well and you dress them accordingly. I've attached a photo for you. x

Lauren2211 Thu 01-Feb-18 06:32:21

Also I'd recommend getting a grow egg. It's a baby night light and temp monitor that plugs in and glows blue, yellow, orange or bright red to show immediately if the room is too warm or cold for the baby. 👍🏼

MissBax Thu 01-Feb-18 06:42:14

We have a gro egg which us a great indication and also comes with recommendations of how to dress baby depending on temperature.
It's recommended that baby stay in patents bedroom for atleast 6 months now too.

Onemorecornetto Thu 01-Feb-18 06:46:51

We were slaves to the gro egg Sleeping bag/clothes advice! 22 degrees does sound quite warm (I wouldn’t be be able to sleep in that) but baby should be fine in a thin sleeping bag and 1 layer of clothing.
Or swaddle with a large muslin?

wednesdayrobyn Thu 01-Feb-18 06:50:18

My lo is 7 weeks old and will quickly let me know if he's too hot or cold, prehaps just leave a layer off? If you intend to swaddle I'd say just a vest and swaddle and if they still seem hot remove the swaddle or let them keep their arms out.

boatrace30 Thu 01-Feb-18 12:48:06

I remember having similar worries and reading on a thread that women have babies in much hotter climates and they are fine! Suddenly have me some perspective! Use the guidelines and just dress baby in less before swaddling. Good luck!

TooGood2BeFalse Thu 01-Feb-18 18:13:46

Hi Op!

Really wouldn't worry. I am not advising by any means to ignore safety guidlines - don't!

We live in Cyprus and both my boys were born here.18-22 degrees for them is cold.They would wake up crying. The hospital I gave birth in had the room temp at 27 (38 outside!). I think 22 sounds about right, maybe a small fan to keep the air moving.

balljuggla Wed 07-Feb-18 20:32:43

Belated thanks for all the replies, have had my daughter now so been a bit busy! We bought a gro egg which is great, plus the temp has come down a bit anyway. Not that she sleeps at night right now though wink

Lauren2211 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:02:58

Huge congratulations! Hope you both are keeping well & that she starts sleeping through the night mega quickly grin lol x

balljuggla Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:29

Thank you! Actually as a FTM I am being so neurotic at night as I can't see her if we're all asleep hmm We have a sensor pad but I still look over and check on her every minute or so..!

Lemondrop99 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:30:03

Look into a Love To Dream arms up swaddle. Not only are they brilliant (natural positioning, baby can access hands, easy to put on), but they are only 1 tog and a single layer, so less likely to overheat than traditional swaddling.

Lauren2211 Thu 08-Feb-18 05:49:27

It's normal but it will pass...well for the most part! My LO is now 7 months old and in his own room now but I find myself going in to just even look at him on my way to the loo as well as just watching him sleep on the monitor. Feeling of love and joy they bring are amazing as well as frustration grin being a mum is some journey enjoy every moment of it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now