Talk

Advanced search

8 wk old chronically overtired. Help!

(14 Posts)
OperaPanda Sat 13-Jan-18 16:52:27

We have a very easy baby who's barely cried since she was born.

We had a good nap and feed patterns as she seemed to be putting herself naturally on some type of schedule but:
-10 days ago she's started struggling to sleep for more than 45min at a time during the day.
-Then a week ago we started having issues with her falling asleep in the afternoon and she clearly became overtired in the evenings (crying after bath).
- Now it has moved to mornings as well, each nap is a battle and she cries every time.
I've lost my happy baby who would coo and babble when waking up: she wakes up yawning and rubbing her eyes as if she needs to go back to sleep immediately but I never manage to resettle her and she acts hungry so I take her out of the moses basket for a feed.

She gets about 10h of sleep per day when the recommendations are 15-16 sad

She feeds roughly every 2h during the day (very efficiently, 5-8min on average and has been putting on weight like a champ)
then nappy change
and then a bit of play. I watch like a hawk for first signs of tiredness. I usually see the first yawn around 40min after she woke up, so I take her in my arms on put her on my raised laps to start winding down. She usually doesn't like it and starts wiggling: she wants to see more! If I let her, she rubs her eyes and ears within ten minutes and gets overtired as she never stops looking around. But if I keep "winding down" and doesn't allow her to look at stuff, she starts crying.

I've managed to comfort her a couple of times after 15min of crying but the last time it didn't work and my DH has taken her out on the pram. I'm worried this is getting worse.

We shush pat her in her moses basket and it used to work very well (she still resettles herself sometimes and likes the moses basket). In order to prioritise sleep we decided to let her sleep wherever and close to us if that meant more sleep but she does the same whether it's on me, in the babycarrier or else. Except that on the pram she eventually falls asleep. I can't spend my days pushing her through town though!

So far she still sleeps well at night (soothes herself and goes 22h-7h with two feeds 2am and 5am) but I'm worried this will change soon if she doesn't catch up on sleep.

We tried putting her in a separate room to avoid noise but that didn't change anything so she remains with us during the day. I'm hesitant about putting her in the dark for naps as don't want to create day/night confusion now she has them sorted.

She refuses dummies so it's no an option.
And I'm not keen on white noise as I would rather avoid props (and generations of parents did without it). But maybe I should try?
Does her being tired means that we should start winding down even earlier, before the first yawn? Worried she'll then be undertired, frustrated and fussy...

Sorry for long post. Keen to hear advice if you have some! Thanks smile

OperaPanda Sat 13-Jan-18 20:18:05

Bump
She's now refused to nap since 5pm. It's 8pm and she cries on and off. It's definitely getting worse sad

Bananarama12 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:25:01

Is this leap 2 time?

OperaPanda Sat 13-Jan-18 21:20:35

Yes, it is. The app tells me she has 3days to go. Can this be as simple as this? I so hope so. It does mention fussiest but doesn't talk about horrible nap times like this. The former leap wasn't near as bad that. But I'll put my hope in this thanks!

Bananarama12 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:39:46

I had a lovely sleeper until leap 2, also lovely and chatty in the morning. Now he's very fussyand grumpy sad let's hope we get our happy babies back!

moreismore Sat 13-Jan-18 21:44:26

I would try putting her down again sooner, especially after a short nap. So winding down after 30mins maybe, before she has time to tip into overtired? Baby wearing might help? Walking around in a carrier used to soothe my baby at this stage. It’ll keep changing! Try not to worry too much and roll with it a bit...

QforCucumber Sat 13-Jan-18 21:45:05

Honestly id try white noise, if it works it works smile at that age I too would force naps, In the car/walk round the estate with the pram/rocker bouncer chair thingy. Anything to ensure 1 hour awake time. At 22 months he doesn't need to be walked/rocked/pushed to sleep (and hasn't for a long time) he was always a 30 min nap 1 hr awake kinda baby.

Oly5 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:50:54

Are you kidding me? She’s 8 weeks! This is all normal.
She’s out of the sleeping all day newborn phase and is just being a normal baby.
I’m currently feeding and cuddling my 8 week old third child to sleep. The longest nap he’s had today was 90 minutes in the pram.. but only if I walked with him. The rest have been in my arms.
Crying after bath time is normal.
You’re reading way too much into this. Young babies don’t just fall asleep for hours in their for during the day. Most will only sleep in arms, in a sling, in a car or pushchair.
My best advice is to stop worrying about what you think your baby should be doing and just go with it. Don’t worry about napping and feeding schedules

Oly5 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:51:45

Hours in their cot that should have said

bassackwards Sat 13-Jan-18 21:54:01

White noise really works for us. I've been using it to help my DD sleep since she was about 7/8 weeks old. I know what you mean about wanting to avoid "props" to aid sleep - we've avoided dummies for that reason- but when I see the way white noise calms her when she needs help sleeping, I feel like it's actually a kind thing to do for her. So maybe worth a try!

Lanclain Sat 13-Jan-18 21:58:46

My eight week old also changed from sleeping virtually all day to being awake more and needing to nap.
The sling is the most reliable way of doing it although she now happily sleeps in the cot at night but during the day she refuses to sleep in it.

OperaPanda Sat 13-Jan-18 22:50:07

Thanks all.

Oly5, I'm not talking about schedules. And I'd be happy with the scenario you describe. My issue is that she screams her head off when time comes to sleeo, whether it's in my arms or else, which wasn't the case a minute ago. And then she doesn't stay asleep for long, no matter where she is, which leads to an overtired baby (vicious circle). So very different from what you describe.

We've tried white noise tonight. Didn't work sad but we'll try again. Might be that she was too worked up for anything to work.

I tried the sling and she hated it (might be because I'm awkward with these and don't use them well), she prefers the baby carrier but again she screamed in it today and only sleep for 10min in it sad

Nearly 11pm. Screaming has stopped temporarily since the last feed but now starting again...she's in our arms..she'll drop off eventually.

This has to be linked to the leap. I'll update in a few days if that's the case in case it helps someone else.

OperaPanda Sat 13-Jan-18 22:50:50

*wasn't the case a week ago

FirstNov2017 Sun 14-Jan-18 18:57:18

Sounds exactly like my son!! Same age. Virtually no naps from 10am until 5pm. If he falls asleep during the day it's 15 mins cat naps. He'll have an hour at 7 and then be all over the place until 10pm. Wake up at 1am and 4am for feeds. We have had to let him cry it out as nothing soothes him and he will fight sleep no matter what we try. Good luck. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now