Talk

Advanced search

2-1 nap transition help!

(10 Posts)
northerncry Fri 12-Jan-18 14:52:20

Hello ladies...anybody any experience of 2-1 nap transition they would like to share?!
My DS is 14months and for ages now he has been in a nice little routine of
6am Wake
09:00-10:15 Nap
2-3pm Nap
6:30/7pm Bed
However, he's refused 2nd Nap for 4 days now...meaning he's staying up for the day from 10am ish until bed! Which is far too long I know...and he's a miserable mess from tea time onwards 🙄 He's been in bed at 6pm the last 2nights and woke at 05:30. So again...viscous circle...how do I push am nap back when he's nearly falling asleep on school run at 9 due to early waking (presume due to over tiredness?)
(Not sleeping through I should add...he's always woke a few times a night for dummy, shush pat etc 😣) That's not changed since nap transition!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
X

happydays00 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:33:59

Hi northern - could you try shortening the morning nap? Unfortunately it's going to be a bit trial and error but I would try waking him after 30-45 minutes. If he still won't nap in the afternoon nap I would try waking after 20 minutes in the morning.

jb1305uk Fri 12-Jan-18 17:29:15

Going through the same here. Some days we have two naps, some days just one. On days where LO wants two naps we limit the morning one to 20-30 minutes to tide LO over to have a longer afternoon nap.

northerncry Fri 12-Jan-18 18:04:54

Hi both 😊
I never thought about limiting 1st nap! That's a brilliant idea I'll defo give it a try thanks. Makes more sense than trying to push him until lunch time. What a state he was in tonight at bath time poor little thing 😢 He's been in bed since 5:50! X

happydays00 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:19:03

Have you had any success yet OP?

northerncry Sun 14-Jan-18 20:05:49

Well...it sort of back fired today as I woke him from morning nap after 40mins (instead of his usual 1.5hrs) and he was not happy 😆 So he was really wingey for most of the day but then I did get him down for a nap 2-3pm...although struggled to get him to bed at 7...would be half past before he was asleep 🙄 Not sure if late nap is any good anymore without knocking bedtime back??
Our little routine has gone to pot 😫

wintertravel1980 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:45:56

It normally takes at least 3-5 days for the new routine to settle and it usually gets worse before it gets better.

My DD has just turned 12 months and she is also going through a nap transition. We have been doing:

- 6.30am - wake
- 9.30am - nap 1 (25 minutes max)
- 12.45-3.00pm - nap 2
- 7.00pm - bed

Recently DD has started to fight her afternoon nap. My plan for the next few weeks is to keep reducing the morning nap by 5 minutes until it goes down to 10-15 minutes. After that I will see when DD is ready to drop the morning nap completely. I followed a similar approach when DD dropped her third nap at 7 months and back then it worked pretty well (although the 2 to 1 nap transition is supposed to be harder).

Stillwishihadabs Mon 15-Jan-18 19:55:41

What about a single nap 10-12:30 or 1 ? If he's failing asleep on the school run then take to the park for a bit on the way home.

northerncry Mon 15-Jan-18 20:38:23

Wow transitioning at 12 months! Glad I've had an extra 4 months I suppose!
I'm tempted to push the morning nap back and go for 1 nap 🤔 but he's just knackered after about 3.5hours wake time? So it's hard to go from 6am- to midday.
Today he slept 10-11am so I thought 2nd nap wouldn't happen but he fell asleep in car 2-3 and went to bed relatively easily at 7:15.
Guess I'll have to take each day as it comes?! X

April45 Tue 16-Jan-18 05:49:16

We’ve had nap changes too at 12 Months- I’ve pushed DS first nap to 11 when he’ll have an hour- and an afternoon nap max 40mins at 3. I find any longer at the first nap and he won’t nap in the afternoon but he needs it.

My thinking is when he’s resisting going down at 11am I’ll push it back a bit more and try one longer lunchtime nap 12.2 maybe and no afternoon nap. It’s all trial and error. It took us a couple of weeks to work out the new schedule!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now