Talk

Advanced search

5yo bedtime routine - ideas and experiences please for a previously jammy dodger

(3 Posts)
SillyYak Thu 11-Jan-18 14:51:42

My 5yo DD, up until now a solid 12 hours a night girl (7pm-7am), is suddenly staying up until 9/10pm. After puzzling over what might be going wrong, it's beginning to dawn on me that she may just not need as much sleep anymore. Lately she's been sleeping until 8am, which makes the school run a little rushed as I have half an hour to get us out the door. Having just read up I see from 5 years I should expect her to sleep more like 10-11 hours. So if I can get her back to waking at 7, that means a bed time of 8 or 9pm.

Send me your biscuit biscuit do, I deserve them for the 5 years of peace I've had thus far, but here's my genuine question: what does bed time look like as kids get older? How can us adults carve out some grown up time, without making kids feel they're banished to their bedrooms? DD is an only, so she's used to getting quite a lot of attention when awake. If her staying up later is going to be a permanent thing, I'd be grateful for some ideas for routines that mean we can all wind down more at the same time.

FATEdestiny Sat 13-Jan-18 14:35:13

How can us adults carve out some grown up time

Ha! We have 4 children (3, 8, 12, 13) and are often ferrying children to sports and clubs through to gone 9pm most nights. It's just the way as children get older.

what does bed time look like as kids get older?

DD3 bedtime is 7pm. Story, into pj, kiss everyone, into cot, leave.

DS8 bedtime is 7.30-8pm. Send to get changed and brush teeth when his younger sister goes to bed. At bedtime just into bed, kiss and nan night. He reads his own book.

DS12 and DD13 really should be asleep by 9pm (they get up an hour before you get two in morning) but at out again dates curricular activities until past 9pm 4 or 5 times a week. So they go to bed as soon as they can. We just how up 15m after they go to bed to give kiss (and ensure phones are not in bedrooms). They are largely self regulating in their sleep.

SillyYak Wed 17-Jan-18 11:09:00

Thanks, FATE, it's good to get an idea of how things evolve! I guess DD is on the cusp of getting into reading to herself, but not quite there yet. Now I've had a week of it I don't miss my 7pm grown up time as much as I thought I would.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: