Talk

Advanced search

15 month old lost the plot!

(8 Posts)
daydream86 Sun 07-Jan-18 05:50:53

thought i’d come here for advice experiences as we are getting a bit desperate with our 15 month old and i’m desperate not to
make things worse for ourselves by entrenching mee bad sleep habits.
15 month old has generally gone down at 7.30 fairly easily and one or two short wake ups for water or dummy in te night and occasionally sleeps through til 6ish. Well for the last fortnight she’s lost the plot and when wakes up in the night anyone from
midnight onwards she will absolutely not go down in her cot at all whatsoever, will
only sleep
on one of us on the rocking chair in the corner of our room
or in our bed after 15
minutes or so if faffing around and then we all
disturb each other all night from then on. so shes been
ending up in our bed every night for almost a fortnight. and the last 3 nights she’s decided that she doesn’t much like her bed time much
either so she’s foughtand cries and carried on until 9pm. I’m not prepared to co-sleep in the long term, so I just don’t know where we’re going wrong with her or f it’s just a phase how to ride it out without introducing massive bad new habits 😢.

daydream86 Sun 07-Jan-18 06:11:55

sorry for the long post,i’m desperate, i’ve been up with her since 4 and now i’ve had to wake Dp up to take over cos i have to get ready for work 12 hours. im working nights next weekend and I don’t know how we’re
going to cope. when she wakes in the night now she’ll whinge and cry until picked up, wants milk in the night too which is another thing we’d knocked on the head months ago. can spend upto an hour with her asleep on me in chair in her room but as soon as I dare lower her into the cot it’s awake and cry time and back to square one again, hence ending up in our bed every night. bit of background, . naps once in the day after lunch 1.5 - 2 hours cot/car/buggy. uses a dodie. has had cold after cold after cold since november- probably 6 colds in succession. not on the verge of walking, not currently teething. even if it’s just a temporary blip how do we get through it?

crazycatlady5 Sun 07-Jan-18 09:37:10

Honestly I would must keep bringing her into the bed and go back to sleep personally. Is she teething or otherwise unwell?

FATEdestiny Sat 13-Jan-18 13:41:38

That lunchtime nap isn't long enough. This probably stemmed from extended over tiredness due to not enough daytime sleep. Then because poor sleep results in worse sleep, it's spiralled into a massive overtiredness cycle.

One daytime nap at this age wants to be 2h30m-3h30m. If naps are 2h or under, I'd keep two naps per day. A 45m morning nap at 9am will reduce exhaustion to make the afternoon map better. I'd then go for a 1pm nap.

For comparison my youngest was sleeping 9am-11am and 1pm-3pm at this age (until 20-22m). Sleeping 11h uninterputed at night.

I'd also suggest you start to routine daytime nap times and place. So always in the cot, always at the same time. No more being out and about at naptime.

At bedtime, I would indistinguishable on going to keep in the cot. But with lots of reassurance from you while going to sleep

TittyGolightly Sat 13-Jan-18 13:43:26

So always in the cot, always at the same time. No more being out and about at naptime.

That’s pretty much the only thing I think is a massive rod for your back. It’s hugely limiting.

daydream86 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:42:45

Hi a quick update now i’m feeling less exhausted,, well i darent say too much for fear of jinxing it but I feel the plot is returning? she. has decided to stop fighting bedtime as much and going off on her own at her normal time on an evening and naps in cot have been better too. I really feel she is a one nap a day toddler as a rule these days.
and i can’t stick to a rigid cot-only nap schedule everyday, i have a life and I work shifts, so she goes to childminder or my mums 3 days a week. anyway in he positive she’s not been in our bed now for 4 nights which is great and 3 out of the last 5 have been sleep throughs, or very near anyway, fantastic., we’ve still a bit of work to do but i feel we’re getting back on track x

BroccoliOnTheFloor Sat 13-Jan-18 22:04:23

If she's had a lot of colds recently, could she be congested and uncomfortable laying flat? We had this about a month ago; DS 16mo, normally sleeps through or 1 quick waking, suddenly only slept on us. Humidifier in his room, raising the cot mattress, and then simply waiting until his cold got better worked.

Btw, the NHS has a table with suggested total hours of nighttime and daytime sleep by age. For 1y olds it's 11h at night, 2,5h day. So it's a bit more than 1,5-2 that your DD is doing, but it's definitely not the 4 hours that PP has suggested.

jb1305uk Tue 16-Jan-18 10:16:44

My 15 month old is the same right now. Last 5 nights been in with us from anywhere between 12 and 2am. Been happening on and off for last 3 weeks. Constant cold, coughing in sleep. Tried raising mattress, humidifier, etc.

We are trying to stick to bedtime routine as normal and hoping it’s just down to cough unsettling her. We want to sort this but don’t want any approach that leaves her to cry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: