Talk

Advanced search

So if you had a disastrous sleeper when did it get better?

(18 Posts)
Gannetseatfish Sat 16-Dec-17 19:56:50

My beautiful DD is 5 months old now and her sleep is utterly disastrous. 4 month sleep regression/teething whatever, she wakes all through the night, won’t nap for longer than 30 minutes and if often impossible to put down taking numerous attempts, just for her to wake up 20 minutes later. If you had one of these little darlings when did it get better? Tell me it got better, I’m dying here......

m33r Sat 16-Dec-17 20:00:17

19months woth my first LB and now going through the same with my second 4month old (who will sleep if I bed share which I hate!). No advice really but my first had undiagnosed dairy allergy TIL 6 months as well as horrendous reflux. Might be worth making sure there is no medical reason x

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Sat 16-Dec-17 20:09:39

Um, around 18 months. 3 years before she slept through.

Sorry.

RaindropsAndSparkles Sat 16-Dec-17 20:19:20

When we realised he just didn't need 12 hours sleep and accepted he'd be up when we were up. If he went down at 10/10.30 he slept until 6/6.30. Much better than us going up at 10.30 and him being up from 2-5.30 and us having to be up half hour later.

We rationalized it when out parents said we didn't sleep either as children and when we allowed it to dawn that we were possibly both a bit alpha and energetic.

It was more time for experiences and learning. He's 22 now and contemplating going to a party 90 minutes away.

RNBrie Sat 16-Dec-17 20:20:42

At 6 months when we sleep trained her and three nights later she was sleeping through the night.

bigkidsdidit Sat 16-Dec-17 20:23:29

When I sleep trained at 6 months. Went from waking every 45 minutes to sleeping 12 hours!

RebeccaNoodles Sat 16-Dec-17 20:45:31

We started gentle sleep 'training' or teaching - helping her to fall asleep without being held basically - when she turned 4 months. Then the regression hit, tried to wait it out but it was just getting worse ... and so at age 5.5 months we sleep trained, using a sleep consultant. Within a week she was sleeping 11 hours straight (having been waking 5/6 times a night) Naps took much longer but finally falling into place now (she's 6 months). Hope things settle down for you soon. smile

Gannetseatfish Sat 16-Dec-17 21:05:33

Thanks for the responses guys! It just feels so isolating. I’m actually coping okay with the tiredness, cosleeing so minimal wake up plus I have a DS who didn’t sleep though till 15 months so I’ve had training but bloody hell DD actually takes the biscuit. She’s very healthy, chubby and happy so I’m pretty certain nothings wrong she just doesn’t know how to sleep!

Salene Sat 16-Dec-17 21:06:48

MY son is 3 years and 3 months old and still refusing to sleep through the night

Gannetseatfish Sat 16-Dec-17 21:09:24

Ooh and @raindrops my DS has never slept 12 hours either, ever, which took us a while to accept/realise too. I’m realistic, but right now 2 hours in a row would be good!

YCAWS Sat 16-Dec-17 21:12:03

DD woke every hours until she was a year, then every 90 mins, then every 3 hours...she's 2.5 years old now and still wakes every 3 hours

SparklingSnowfall Sat 16-Dec-17 21:13:25

Both of mine were truly horrific, think only sleeping half an hour at a time, up 12/15+ times in the night etc etc, you get the picture.

DS was 22 months before he ever slept through and DD was 3 and 3 months. It was a very long road but now at 4.5 & 6.5 if there was a prize for the best sleeping children, they would win it!

Oh it's bad, but I promise you'll get there.

Swirlingasong Sat 16-Dec-17 21:14:54

I had two like that. One got better at around a year. The other (school age now) still doesn't often sleep through but improved around 3. Sorry. BUT, even when sleep doesn't improve much, things do get better than at 5 months. They start moving, talking, generally doing stuff which I found made things far more bearable.

PurplePillowCase Sat 16-Dec-17 21:16:22

when dc stopped napping at 3 yo.

Fragglewump Sat 16-Dec-17 21:17:17

When my dd started school.

trilbydoll Sat 16-Dec-17 21:20:24

Starting nursery at 10mo helped a lot for both of them. DD1 sleeps through more often than not and has done since 3ish. DD2 is 2.5y and sleeps through about 50% of the time. If they wake in the night they are straight back to sleep though and have been since about 18mo.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sat 16-Dec-17 21:21:13

He woke every hour for over two years. I night weaned him shortly after he turned two. Within about three months he was down to waking every 3-4 hours, and within six months he was mostly sleeping through. It wasn't an instant fix, and I don't regret not trying it earlier ran I did. Ultimately you have to do what you have to do, but he's five now and I look back and think he benefited hugely from having his nighttime needs met for so long.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sat 16-Dec-17 21:21:38

earlier than I did

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: