Talk

Advanced search

Naptime help needed!

(15 Posts)
Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:51:22

Hello, please help, I am at the end of my rope with this one!

DD has been in a good naptime routine since about 5 months. Dropped to 2 naps per day at 7-8 months. Sleeps well (7-7ish at night). Until she hit 11 months.

For the last month, naptimes have been awful.

Her previous routine is:
7am wake, breakfast etc.
9am 1st nap, usually until 10-10:30
1pm 2nd nap, usually until 2-2:30
7pm bedtime

At 11 months, she decided she wasn't going to nap. She learned to stand up in the cot at 10.5 months so now just stands and shouts. I am lucky to get her to nap for 1 hour a day and that is after a 45-60 minute struggle.

Pre-nap routine hasn't changed - 15 minutes of quieter activities (books, singing - turn off the irritatingly noisy toys...), bedtime song, darkened room etc.

I have tried:
- pushing the morning nap back in case she needed more awake time in the morning, still refused morning nap
- dropping the morning nap completely and going to one nap - she fights this too
- bringing the naps 15-30 minutes earlier - still refuses
- walking her in the pram - still refuses

She is now basically having max one 60 minute nap in total and that is after a minimum of 45 minutes of protesting. She is miserable with exhaustion. Comes up to me crying and rubbing eyes, yawning. If I try to go out with her she just can't cope with the tiredness and winds up in tears. She's spending all day miserable and exhausted and I feel like a terrible mother. She clearly still needs two naps but even one would help.

I am grateful that she is a brilliant sleeper at nighttime but I've been dealing with an overtired, cranky baby for a month now (I am currently a SAHM and it's just me and DD at home) and it's getting to me. I need some help.

Lovebehindthefool Sat 16-Dec-17 11:17:04

Ok, have you tried bringing her bedtime forward an hour or so? When my daughter did this, I bought her bedtime forward as she was over tired. It seemed to sort her out. Currently going through my own sleep regression though so may not be the best judge lol

Lovebehindthefool Sat 16-Dec-17 11:18:24

Oh and my daughter had dropped the 2naps by this age to have one long one of 2hours 12-2pm

Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:40:08

So you think to go to one nap at noon and then a 6pm bedtime temporarily? What did you do about lunch - before or after the nap?

She's also been waking up early (6-6:30) on the days where she's slept very little so I know that she's definitely needing more sleep in the day.

Lovebehindthefool Sat 16-Dec-17 12:55:25

My daughter wakes early when she is over tired. Yes I would try midday nap then move evening sleep forward. At first I used to offer her half her lunch at 11:30am. Anything she left I would offer after her nap. Then she kind of changed it herself and prefers to have her lunch when she wakes up. It is a bit of trial and error but if she eats all her lunch at 11:30am then make sure you off a decent snack when she wakes smile

Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:04:19

Thanks for the advice; I normally offer a small snack after both her naps so I will try giving her lunch early, followed by a nap and then combine the snacks into a larger one when she wakes. She seems very young to go to one nap but anything is worth a shot rather than endless naptime battles!

Lovebehindthefool Sat 16-Dec-17 13:07:47

Good luck, I have found that as soon as I have one routine cracked then my daughter moves into another! The problem isn’t getting a routine sometimes it’s staying in one wink

Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:15:33

Yes, I've found it hard to know what is just a developmental phase and what is a need for a change in routine. But right now neither of us are getting what we need so no one is happy!

help1978 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:16:10

The only thing I can think to offer is that the awake time between getting up and first nap and then up from first nap to second nap isn’t that long.....
If it was me (but I’m totally winging the whole parenting thing) I’d do a max of 30 Mins 930 ish then a 2 hour job after lunch about 1.
Good luck x hope you find something that works for you x

Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:20:55

Thank you Help, I can't get her to nap even for 30 minutes in the morning at the moment though sad Even if she misses her morning nap, she fights the afternoon nap.

help1978 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:24:31

Why do you put her down 2 hours after waking? Does she seem tired then.....?

Over2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:33:16

Yes she seems tired - eye rubbing, yawning confused

help1978 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:10:03

Ok dokes. If you take her out in pram/sling/car does that work?
Do you have a pitch black room? White noise? Dummy? X

FATEdestiny Sat 16-Dec-17 19:04:33

Over2017, now she is repeatedly standing up when you put her in the cot, how are you getting her to sleep?

Candyfloss1122 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:09:11

@over no advice I'm afraid, just to let you know you have described the exact situation I am in with DD (10.5months). We have opted to try dropping to one nap, today being the first day. She woke up late (8am) and went down for a nap at 11:45. I was hoping she would sleep for 1hr30 minimum however she unfortunately only did an hour. She has gone to bed with minimal fuss at 6pm (previous bedtime 6:45).
I'm hoping that her nap will gradually get longer as she adapts to the new routine 🤞
Lunch is a bit hit and miss, hopefully we find a rhythm soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now