Talk

Advanced search

Newborn straight in cot?

(23 Posts)
MistyBxx Fri 15-Dec-17 20:48:09

Hi everyone,
My baby isn't due for 8 weeks yet, but I'm just thinking ahead.
I have a Moses basket for downstairs but I'm intending on putting my newborn straight in her big cot from birth (right next to my bed).
Is this advisable and most importantly safe? The cot is quite large and will last her til it can be changed into a toddler bed.
I'm just worried about how tiny she will be in a massive cot.
I've heard cots should be as bare as possible, and I'm not a fan of bumpers etc anyway, but I have seen like round pillow things babies sleep in INSIDE their cots?
Has anyone got one of these? What are they even called lol and what are they like?
Any advice would be appreciated xx

Kit1411 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:52:02

You could try the sleepyhead pod in the cot.

RosesInTheHospital Fri 15-Dec-17 22:44:39

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Baby might feel a bit exposed. But you could always take the Moses basket upstairs with you and pop it in the cot x

Bl7589 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:46:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

outputgap Fri 15-Dec-17 22:51:15

Yes, just do feet to foot. It's totally fine.

MistyBxx Sat 16-Dec-17 00:49:28

Thanks all. I googled that sleepy pod and they're over £100 and I'd rather not pay that much if possible. I love the idea of swaddling, and was hoping to do that. I just really want her used to her cot from a young age (I'm under no illusion she's going to be actually sleeping in there for any prolonged period of time lol) so thanks for your advice, I wanted to put her directly in the cot as long as it is safe and suitable so it's nice to hear some of you have done just that (at the end of it anyway) much appreciated xx

Sashkin Sat 16-Dec-17 00:56:04

It’ll be fine. DS was premature (and tiny) and he went straight into his Next2Me, which is the same width as a normal cot but about 30cm shorter.

It did swamp him a bit, but it made no difference to his sleeping. In fact he seemed to prefer big sleeping spaces - his ideal is our bloody bed.

RainbowWish Sat 16-Dec-17 00:59:06

My wee one was premature and I put her straight into her cot.
My hv taught ne how to make a nest in the cot. You saussage roll 2 blankets and make it into an oval them out the mattress flat sheet thing over it and it keeps the wee one snug. It works the same as the pod.

MiddleClassProblem Sat 16-Dec-17 01:00:31

If you’ve got the side off you could maybe tuck a towel under your mattress and the other side hers in case it moves or there’s a gap? I did this with cosleeper just to cover the rim as I would have to sleep with my arm round her so it was more comfortable for me lol.

But either way, she’s right next to your bed. Plenty have a Moses basket away from the bed etc.

SIDS wise the cot thing, I think but might be mistaken, is about them being in another room as many people can’t fit a cot in their room and all the telly and films portray it as the baby goes in a different room so that’s what they automatically think you’re meant to do iyswim.

RainbowWish Sat 16-Dec-17 01:00:32

Ne=me
Them=them
Out=put
Sorry I many mistakes lol.

GummyGoddess Sat 16-Dec-17 01:17:19

If she doesn't go in her cot don't stress. An NCT friend was adamant baby was going straight in the cot, she's still co sleeping at one year as he just wouldn't sleep.

My DC was in his pram upstairs, then crib, then mini cot. He sleeps in his big cot for naps in his bedroom with no problem and still is in his mini cot in our room for the nights. He started sleeping through at 10 months without sleep training so I don't think it mattered to him what he was used to as long as he had a consistent nighttime routine of milk, story, songs and then bed. Sometimes he comes into bed with us if he's not feeling great but is happy to go back into his cot the next day.

Battleax Sat 16-Dec-17 01:26:35

I had a cheap second Moses basket to put in the cot for the first three months.

FairyHedgehogg Sat 16-Dec-17 01:34:51

My DD had to go in her big cot from a few weeks old as she was such a wriggler and kicker and would rotate herself round so needed lots of room. She had a little cradle at first but outgrew it really quickly. She was fine but she was a contented baby who learned to self settle when she found her thumb at about 6 weeks old.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Sat 16-Dec-17 02:01:44

I did it with all 3. Feet to foot and swaddled. Don’t put anything else in except a light blanket if they need it, but that should tucked in firmly.

Congratulations!

BradleyPooper Sat 16-Dec-17 02:07:59

Had 2 DCs and no Moses basket, what makes them different from a cot anyway?

Kentnurse2015 Sat 16-Dec-17 02:13:07

My children would be swaddled at all so don't get disheartened if that doesn't work. Definitely it would be good to make a nest for baby to feel more protected.

Kentnurse2015 Sat 16-Dec-17 02:13:32

Wouldn't I mean!

Gierg Sat 16-Dec-17 02:47:11

We put DS in the cot straight away... we had a carrycot for daytime napping and when he fell asleep in the front room with us and sometimes put that in the cot (safe for overnight sleeping!) but yeah I didn't want to pay extra for a sleepyhead or anything either... seems like such a lot of money for something that doesn't last that long really...

MagicFajita Sat 16-Dec-17 02:50:33

We went straight to cot, it was fine.

notangelinajolie Sat 16-Dec-17 02:55:33

All 3 of mine cot from birth. Moses basket not necessary.

dramallamakarma Sat 16-Dec-17 04:22:54

DD hated her Moses basket (and pram) and went into a cot after a couple of days.... in our room. We used sleeping bags from birth.

MistyBxx Sat 16-Dec-17 11:41:18

Wow, fab suggestions here!!
Thanks everyone!!
I particularly like the idea of rolling towels under the mattress sheet to make a little nest.
And definitely going to practice swaddling and hope she likes it!
I've heard of putting the basket in the cot too. I'm not a fan of co-sleeping... both hubs and I (him more than me!) are space hoggers, he flails his arms round like dead weights, and I'm a wriggler too, I'd never relax with a baby in with me too 🙈 so I'm hoping to maybe leave a side off the cot and utilise some of the suggestions here smile
Thanks again all xx

Lemondrop99 Sat 16-Dec-17 12:01:17

Have a look at the Love to Dream swaddles. My 9 week old is (currently!!) very good at sleeping in his own crib and has done so since birth. He liked being swaddled so I think that stopped him feeling exposed. I was rubbish at swaddling so tried the LTD and it's been brilliant. So easy to put on and the baby lies in a very natural position with their hands up (which means they can soothe by rubbing their face and sucking their hands) but still feel swaddled and can't startle

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: