Talk

Advanced search

How can I burp sleeping baby?

(14 Posts)
lizzlebizzle33 Wed 13-Dec-17 19:12:44

Does anybody have any tips on how I can burp a sleepy baby?
My 6 weeks old always falls asleep after a feed, if I put him down he will wake up and need to burp maybe 5 or 10 minutes later. If I burp try to burp in I either don't get a burp off him because he is asleep or he will wake up while I burp him and then want to feed again, and then we start the whole cycle again,

I can't seem to get him to burp without waking him up, sometimes I spend all day just trying to put him down to sleep, I usually end up giving up and just let him sleep on me, which would be OK if I didn't have a toddler I need to change/cook for/play with.

Snowman41 Wed 13-Dec-17 19:24:59

Hold him upright against your chest just as you would am awake baby.

Whyisnothingeasy Wed 13-Dec-17 19:27:33

Can you hold him upright against your chest and walk around slowly with him. This sometimes brings up wind. Or rub his back not pat. Don't think winding ever work up my kids as they were in such a milk coma sleep!

Whyisnothingeasy Wed 13-Dec-17 19:28:11

Woke not work wink

WineGummyBear Wed 13-Dec-17 19:29:37

Hold upright against your chest and walk up and down the stairs.

Chathamhouserules Wed 13-Dec-17 19:33:38

Lean him backwards and forwards gently, holding his front and back. That used to get mine to burp. If he wakes up try something else to get him to sleep other than feeding, like a dummy or rubbing his tummy or something.

Chathamhouserules Wed 13-Dec-17 19:34:33

And yes, walking up and down stairs also worked.

Oly5 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:51:08

I’m in the same boat and nothing helps really. I also agree that you just end up feeding them again once they wake up with wind! My other children were the same and my only advice is that this stage passes soon. Before long they are much better at burping. Hang in there

GreenRedBlue Wed 13-Dec-17 21:58:32

What worked for me with the night feeds was to take him off just before the end of a feed, burp him then put him back on to the boob for a couple of mins just to get him off to sleep. Didn't work every time but worth a try!

sleepycat13 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:09:55

I agree with @GreenRedBlue

ZigZagandDustin Thu 14-Dec-17 10:13:54

Put him in sitting position on your knee, one hand supporting his front and the other his back. Rock his upper body back and forth a few times. They often stay asleep all crumpled in your hands but can release a massive burp!

user1493413286 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:19:13

I used to take her off the boob a few minutes before she was finished and wind her then put her back on to fall asleep; she’d take so little in the rest of the time that she then wouldn’t need winding. I did the same thing with the bottle too and it worked well.

happychange Thu 14-Dec-17 10:25:14

Breastfed baby? Maybe doesn’t need burping? I never really burped mine

lizzlebizzle33 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:23:55

Thank you ladies, he is breastfed and I find he definitely needs to burp.

I tried just rubbing his back gently rather than patting with him up on my chest and that worked a couple of times last night.
He seems to wake up when I use the sitting on my knee position, unless it's me just not manoeuvring him there gently enough.
I'll keep trying, thank you all for your suggestions. Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: