Talk

Advanced search

Are co-sleeper cots worth it?

(29 Posts)
Moanyoldcow Thu 07-Dec-17 19:06:05

Just that really. I'm just thinking about whether it's worth having one. I'm likely to have an ELCS so thought it might make the nighttime a bit easier.

If anyone could tell me how useful they found them and how long they last I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Chaosofcalm Thu 07-Dec-17 19:08:52

We had one but I struggled to use it at first because of my EMCS I could not scoot down the bed.

EssentialHummus Thu 07-Dec-17 19:11:38

I looked into them but ended up with a £60 Ikea Gulliver cot - you can take one side off safely and put it against the bed. Very happy with that decision.

53rdWay Thu 07-Dec-17 19:12:30

Worth its weight in gold for us. We had a full-size one that could convert to a free-standing cot so lasted longer than they usually do.

welshweasel Thu 07-Dec-17 19:13:43

Definitely worth having either a co sleeper or as a PP said, a cot with one side off.

Moanyoldcow Thu 07-Dec-17 19:14:30

Ok, thank you. I think I'll look for a second hand one.

user1469751309 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:15:12

I had one and it was great but was always worried about my blanket going over the side of my DD when I slept

IrritatedUser1960 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:16:11

God yes, there is no way I'm getting out of bed in the night for anyone. It saved my life.

Lules Thu 07-Dec-17 19:16:22

Yes and I love it but I agree with chaos. That’s only an issue for a short time though. My baby is 2 months and he’ll be in there a while yet. They last a lot longer than a Moses basket.

Helbelle75 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:17:09

We love ours. I had an emcs and dd is bf. I found it really easy to get her to feed her at night. Still do in fact! She's 7 months and still in it.

NameChange30 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:18:43

We got a Snuzpod and it was great but expensive given that we only used it for 8 months (and that was pushing it).

If buying again I would get a Cozee bedside crib (sold at Mothercare) because it’s portable and can be used as a travel cot. It would have been really useful.

If on a budget I’d get the Ikea one or another small cot with a removable side - preferably something bigger than a Cozee/Snuzpod/Next2Me that can be used a bit longer.

Amatree Thu 07-Dec-17 19:20:18

We had the Next to Me with a sleepyhead inside and loved it. Expensive combination but the sleepyhead meant that the baby felt safely contained - I think I'd have been anxious about him rolling into our duvet or something otherwise. If you can get one second hand then great.

villainousbroodmare Thu 07-Dec-17 19:22:13

Sleepyhead in a cot with the side off.

OneOfTheGrundys Thu 07-Dec-17 19:23:05

Loved ours. 2nd hand on eBay then a new mattress.

Urglewurgle Thu 07-Dec-17 19:30:28

We have a snuzpod and love it so far (DD is 12 weeks). Like PP I initially struggled with getting myself in and out of the bed as my stitches meant I couldn't scooch.

When down the side of the cot lies on our mattress and would stop me ever going anywhere near her with our duvet etc.

I second the idea of any cot with the side off though.

riddles26 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:41:42

Had a next2me and absolutely loved it. Normal cot with side off is also great option but we inherited our cot and it doesn't have an adjustable mattress heights. I wasn't comfortable using it when it's height was so different from the one on my bed which is why we bought next2me.

I felt it was better value than Snuzpod because it's larger and can be used as a travelcot (which we did use). Used it comfortably until 8 months

silkpyjamasallday Thu 07-Dec-17 19:46:40

We had a snuzpod and used it for only a few weeks before we started cosleeping. It's gone to a pregnant friend who doesn't want to cosleep now so at least it will be used, wasn't worth the £££ imo. You can take the side off most normal cots for the same effect then no faffing transferring the baby from one type of bed to another.

BorahT Thu 07-Dec-17 20:25:38

I love my cosleeper! I have a next2me and my 8 month old is still in it, a lifesaver for being woken up every 2 hours! Though scooching was a problem with the episiotomy ouch I like the idea of using a normal cot though my bedroom is tiny so the cosleeper fits better.

Sipperskipper Thu 07-Dec-17 20:50:16

We had a snuzpod and it was just amazing. Never had to get out of bed to bf, and made it so easy to settle her. I loved it. We even managed to squeeze it in the car to take on holiday! She’s in a cot in her own room now, but thinking about the snuzpod is making me feel nostalgic!

It’s pretty big too, easily lasted her to 6 months, and she was born on 91st centile.

Katheen80 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:59:22

I got a snuzzpod 2 but only used it once as we had to get work done and other things came up so I ended up co-sleeping. It's sitting in the spare room as we speak, I wish I had been able to use it as we are still co-sleeping 🙄

Frillyhorseyknickers Thu 07-Dec-17 22:03:54

I have a snuzpod and I love it, my baby is 11weeks, fuck getting out of bed for middle of the night feeds, and I get to stare at his dreamy little peepers.

ImogenHeat Thu 07-Dec-17 22:10:53

I liked the idea of it but in reality, I had to get out of bed anyway to run downstairs and make a bottle (wanted to bf but couldn't), change her nappy, wash hands...so the whole "not getting out of bed" thing was fictitious for me. I liked being able to see her all the time though. Should've just got any slim cot that fit at the side of the bed.

Picklepickle123 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:11:51

We have a snuzpod and it's worth its weight in gold! DS is 6 months old, so I think we'll probably have another month or two of use from it but I think it's amazing. Enough space in the bed for me and DH, plus being so close to us has made it easier for DS to learn how to self settle imo.

Sometimes in the morning I just scoot over to the far side of the bed and he just rolls/belly shuffles around... It's quite nice to wake up to.

One of our friends had the chicco and used it for holidays too. My advice is go and have a look. Personally the snuzpod was the right size for our bedroom ~as we live in a crappy new-build with tiny bedrooms~.

Moanyoldcow Thu 07-Dec-17 23:14:58

Thank you all so much - this has been invaluable smile

Really would like one and this has swayed me. Anyone in SW London selling theirs? wink

LivLemler Fri 08-Dec-17 08:17:30

Reading with interest, thanks for starting the thread OP.

I'm considering a Chicco. I was looking at the next to me, but as a PP mentioned, I'd be completely paranoid about my covers going into the crib. Or indeed baby rolling into the bed when they're bigger (when do babies roll?! Clueless first timer here).

So I'm looking at the next to me dream - the crib mattress doesn't seem to go directly to the bed mattress, there's a short little crib side in between. I think this would worry me less, but does it negate the whole point of a co sleeper crib if you can't just slide the baby from the crib to your bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now