Talk

Advanced search

Worrying about DS

(9 Posts)
1sttimeunicorn Wed 06-Dec-17 22:18:09

Can I just ask how normal it is to think the way I do about my DS?
He is 7 months old and a lovely little boy, the result of a lot of trying and heart ache. Several years in the making!
Anyway, I feel like a capable parent in the day time most of the time he is happy and playing. My issue is at night. Every single night I worry that he will not wake up. I check on him, studying the video monitor to check he is breathing. If I’m awake in the night even if he is sleeping well I am creeping into his room to hear he is breathing and to check on him.
Is my concern about SIDS normal or should I speak to my GP about my worries? He sleeps very safely nothing in the cot apart from him and he’s in a sleeping bag.

BillywilliamV Wed 06-Dec-17 22:25:35

Don’t know whether it’s normal as such but it’s certainly common, as he gets older you will be able to relax more and leave him to sleep.

tealandteal Thu 07-Dec-17 14:12:23

I don't know if it is normal but I could have written this post so you're not alone. DS is 4 months, still sleeps in our room with a movement monitor and I still wake up and check on him at least once a night.

crazycatlady5 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:36:48

Bless you flowers that must be so exhausting for you. Could you have him in your room? Would that make it easier for you? I don’t do well sleeping away from my 10 month old x

1sttimeunicorn Thu 07-Dec-17 16:58:47

Thanks for the replies. I’m on my own at the moment which I find harder. We moved him into his cot in his room just across the hallway at 6 months. He has a good routine so I think going back into our room would spoil it, really it’s not him that’s the issue, it’s me! Creeping about like a crazy person. Glad I’m not the only one.

Spam88 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:03:04

My 6.5 month old is still in my room, and I wouldn't like to count the number of times I've woken her trying to check if she's breathing 🙈 SIDS risk drops massively after 6 months though.

Balancingact12 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:07:40

I found a breathing monitor really helped me (I was an obsessive checker too ) we have a Motorola one and can really recommend it. (The issue is when they move they can go off the sensor pad and the alarm does go off but honestly the few times it’s happened I still sleep better the other nights )

RockinHippy Fri 08-Dec-17 08:01:15

I think it's quite normal for a first baby, at least that's what friends shared with me when mine was little, they had all done it, Dads & mums

perfectpanda Fri 08-Dec-17 10:00:30

I'm on dc3 and I've just accidentally woken him from a nap by checking he was breathing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now