Talk

Advanced search

Not napping for long enough.

(8 Posts)
Mumstheword44 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:55:29

Any tips? ..

My DD will nap around 11am for 20 minuets, then at 3pm for 20 min. She's so tired all day as she's not napping for long periods of time. She's only 19 weeks - should she be getting more sleep? I've tried everything to keep her asleep..

riddles26 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:20:48

How do you get her to fall asleep?

Mine wouldn't nap at all at that age until we used a sleep consultant so I'm certainly no expert but from what I learnt, they should be awake 60-90 minutes at that age and then have a nap. So if naps are short, the plan would be to make them more frequent. Do you have a reliable way to get her to sleep?

Mumstheword44 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:27:57

She is brilliant at night 7pm we put her in her cot after her bath and she'll self sooth and drift off. Naps you have to be cuddling her for her to sleep longer than 5 minutes! I've tried everything I can think off. Just run out of ideas 😩

GingerbreadMa Tue 05-Dec-17 15:29:46

Some babies dont nap only power nap. If shes getting quality sleep at night then shes fine.

You cant make a square peg fit a round hole

crazycatlady5 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:22:34

As PP said some babies most certainly do catnap but if you feel it isn’t restorative (grumpy, eye rubbing, moody) have you tried:

- dark room, white noise, feed to sleep and cuddle through nap
- sling
- long buggy walks

Sorry it might be annoying to ask as I know you said you’ve tried everything, but just in case!

Mumstheword44 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:50:01

Yeah we have tried all that. She just doesn't want to miss a thing!

crazycatlady5 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:51:03

Try not to worry too much, it might be a phase. There are so many of them!

FATEdestiny Tue 05-Dec-17 21:32:51

Mumstheword44 - try to start getting baby to sleep about 1h after waking.

Repeat all day. So for example if waking 7am, start getting to nap at 8am and then if baby sleeps 8.20-8.40, start working on the next nap at 9.40am. Repeat this cycle all day long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now