Talk

Advanced search

How did your newborn sleep around siblings?

(12 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 07:35:09

DS2 turned weeks old yesterday and lost the ability to sleep anywhere & through anything sad As aresult his night sleep seemed to suffer too, and this morning I have a very sad baby!
Of course once I finally got him into a nice deep sleep at 6am, DS1 came into my room and so DS2 woke up. Couldn't leave DS2 up in bed like I blissfully did yesterday morning because couldn't get the monitor to work.
Brought the baby downstairs and put him in moses basket in living room with white noise. Persevered for 30 mins letting him fall back asleep in the moses but had to keep going in to replace dummy and he was getting mad and less sleepy/more overtired.
Swapped to sling, he eventually fell asleep after rocking (a sleep association I don't want to get into), I am uncomfortable (ring sling hammock type affair with left arm supporting his head), and he never gets into a nice deep sleep in the sling anyway, and he gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.
So for now I guess I'll stand here like a lemon trying to do the dishwasher one-handed, quietly.

All the while DS1 has been festering in his night nappy watching videos on my phone.

Also how long should a sleep be at this point? They're still meant to just sleep all the time right? Feeding every 3 hours so surely it should be a good chunk of sleep?

And yes I will go to the sling library this week but I just don't see how the sling is the answer??

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 07:35:33

4weeks old!!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 07:36:09

Oh and DS1 keeps coming up to me asking to hold the baby argh

GlitteryFluff Tue 05-Dec-17 07:39:19

Watching as dc2 due in a few weeks and I'm worrying about this happening. I'm no useful advice but hovering around to see what others say.

InDubiousBattle Tue 05-Dec-17 07:44:21

Honestly? Not well. I have a 19 month age gap and was reassured that second babies 'sleep through anything'. Bollocks they do, or at least mine didn't. I tried moses basket, bouncy chair, buggy etc but if she was in a room with ds he woke her up. In the end I tried to ensure two naps a day- we would go out in the buggy in the morning and n my arms whilst ds napped in his cot. Any other naps were attempted in the sling- I had a Caboo and it was really good, I could certainly be hands free with dd in it. For me though it certainly wasn't the answer to everything as it is sometimes touted on here, more a way to get 20 minutes out of her to desperately stave of over tiredness.

I found the first 6 months a struggle with naps but things got infinitely easier at 6 months when I put her in her cot for naps.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 07:46:30

OK Glittery! Hope it doesn't terrify you!

Obviously I'm not LITERALLY doing the dishwasher, but you know, there's stuff to do. Rinse the vomit off my body, dress firstborn etc.

He seems to be well asleep now actually, have realised Tesco delivery is coming at 8 so going to try and transfer him to moses. Do have co sleeper w/ sleepyhead upstairs but think living room is easier to cordon off.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 08:56:36

Thanks Dubious, glad things improved at 6 months. At least this time around I know it's all just a short phase. But don't want to get into habits we then can't break!

He slept for about 15 mins in the moses after I transferred him, so I had a shower. I can tell he's still tired though because he's making his tired noise (do all babies do that? He and DS1 make the same tired noise).

Aw just heard DS1 saying 'I love him! I love him! I'm happyyyyyy' grin so maybe it is all worth it grin

Any more magic tricks, please??

FATEdestiny Tue 05-Dec-17 10:35:40

My DC1 was a wake-at-a-mouses-fart type light sleeper. So when DC2 came along with a 14 month age gap, I was very deliberate in my teaching baby not to be a light sleeper.

In his neonatal easy-sleep phase (up to 3-4 weeks) I would make his sleep as noisy and bright as it could be. I would deliberately make he TV loud. I positioned his moses basket under an overhead light and next to the TV - things I would have acutely avoided with DC1.

These are things you can only do in the very early weeks though, when you can get away with anything. Past that I'd recommend:

- naps in the bouncy chair
- get baby used to sleeping with background noise.
- coordinating sibling naps as much as possible

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 11:02:53

Thanks FATE. We did do that up until now, he slept very well through everything. Not the past couple of days though!
He's in his bouncy chair now but is crying. He had maybe a 15 min nap in the gym cafe this morning, and 15 mins while I had a shower after the sling session, and that's it. Doesn't feel like much for a 4 week old!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 11:04:03

He looks exhausted! DS has turned the music on on his chair so i don't know if that's good or bad, haha.

KatnissK Tue 05-Dec-17 12:13:52

Could you put on white noise? I realised DH and I were disturbing DS at night when we went to the loo so I put white noise on quite loudly and put that near his cot. I found a track on Spotify and just put it on repeat. There are also tracks on YouTube that last for 10 hours. It does seem to help.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Dec-17 13:48:47

Katniss yes we have white noise at night, DS1 still uses it (detuned analogue radio). Don't use it much in the day actually, could look into that. We have the Grohush which I think is 10 mins and switches off automatically. I think I was thinking that general daytime noise was equivalent to white noise but I guess it's not as consistent is it.

We have at least had 2 naps today - one in bouncy chair with DS1 playing (although I did put a blanket over the chair so DS1 wouldn't interfere), and one on the play mat. So maybe it's not so bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: