Talk

Advanced search

3 year old waking 10 times a night - help!

(6 Posts)
BelfastSmile Mon 04-Dec-17 12:13:41

DS was 3 in August. He was a poor sleeper as a baby, but started sleeping through the night aged about 2. In the past few months, though, he's started waking again, and it can be up to 10 times a night. He doesn't get out of bed; just cries until one of us goes on to settle him, at which point he goes straight back to sleep.

We tried a night light, and he hated it. He doesn't appear to be hungry or thirsty, too warm or too cold.

At my mum's house at the weekend, he slept much better.

DH normally gets up with him as I'm breastfeeding DD, who also wakes a lot. We're both exhausted though.

I've no idea where to start; Google gave me too many options and I got confused (I'm too tired to think at the moment). Any suggestions?

FATEdestiny Mon 04-Dec-17 18:33:11

Is he in a bed? What about something like a bed den? Many children like that enclosed, protected feeling.

BelfastSmile Mon 04-Dec-17 19:41:47

He's in a bed - has been for over a year. He seems to like it fine. I guess I could create a den with some sheets and see whether it helps.

FATEdestiny Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:39

My children wouldn't have a bar of it with a nightlight either. When they went through the scared of the dark phase, only a proper lamp on or overhead light would do. We installed dimmer switches, so they slept with the overhead light on, but dimmed right down. Far more light and less scary shadows than a night light.

BabloHoney Mon 04-Dec-17 19:53:06

Is he recently potty trained? Could he be waking up feeling like he needs the bathroom? My son did the same thing at the same age when we first stopped the night time nappies.. good luck, I know how exhausting it is! X

BelfastSmile Mon 04-Dec-17 20:02:18

@BabloHoney we've been trying to potty train him for 5 months. He's still in a nappy at night, so I don't think he's too worried if he needs to pee; he knows he has his nappy on.

Other things that might be relevant: DD was born 9 months ago; maybe that has unsettled him? He started Playgroup in September (enjoys it, goes in happily).

In the half an hour before bed, he gets supper and watches the iPad for 10 minutes. Then he plays for a bit, and goes to bed. Bath every other night, but it doesn't seem to affect him one way or another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: