Talk

Advanced search

Co sleeping

(12 Posts)
firsttimemum97 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:28:51

My 11 day old DS wakes up every time I put him down to sleep. I wait til he's fast asleep and cuddle him a bit longer but no matter how long I leave it he always wakes up as soon as his head touches the Moses basket. are there any safe ways of cosleeping? His Moses basket is pushed up against my bed but he will only sleep next to me on the bed. I'm terrified of rolling onto him or accidentally covering his face with a blanket. What can I do 😔

FATEdestiny Sat 02-Dec-17 18:41:23

Advice on safe cosleeping here:

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep-advice/co-sleeping/

crazycatlady5 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:02:01

Lots of safe ways to cosleep.

- keep duvet away from baby (I used to wrap it around my waste - alternatively you could remove it altogether and wear warm clothes to bed)
- you’ll mostly find you sleep in a protective ‘C’ shape position around baby
- make sure there is something on the other side of you and baby, so bedguard or cot. I would be hesitant to just use a wall as a barrier in case baby slips down the side. Bed guards are breathable and the cot baby could just roll in to
- don’t take any medication that makes you drowsy or drink alcohol (or take illegal drugs but that’s a given!)

Any other questions PM me, I have been cosleeping for 10 months x

DandySeaLioness Wed 06-Dec-17 11:05:38

Congrats on your new shiny baby! I noticed gro bags really help when putting sleepy babies down, less of a temperature shock, might be worth trying with your little one?

AMagdalena Wed 06-Dec-17 15:48:30

crazycarlady5 has given you some good advice. I'd only add a sleeping bag for the baby.

crazycatlady5 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:19

@AMagdalena ah yep, forgot that bit!

Lemondrop99 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:30:57

I found the Love to Dream arms up swaddles to be brilliant and have the same benefit as sleeping bags re: temperature changes when putting baby down.

Chaosofcalm Wed 06-Dec-17 20:45:25

www.dur.ac.uk/resources/isis.online/pdfs/ISIS_bed-sharing_2014.pdf

firsttimemum97 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:00:32

Thank you for replying! I have been falling asleep with him on top of the duvet, with my arms around him so I can feel his movements. Thank you for the advice. I will definitely get a sleeping bag for him and a bed guard 😊

pemberleypearl Tue 12-Dec-17 21:07:31

I co sleep sometimes (and have done for weeks at a time when my DD just decided she didn't feel like sleeping in her bedside crib for a while) and trust me you will be aware of your baby! If you don't drink or smoke etc you will most likely co sleep safely. Try not to worry and get some sleep! smile

arbrighton Tue 12-Dec-17 21:10:50

Bear in mind there are minimum weights for sleeping bags and your body will also give warmth so make sure not too hot

silkpyjamasallday Tue 12-Dec-17 21:29:18

You've had good advice on cosleeping so I don't have anything to add on that front (we did with dd until she was about a year old and got too big and wriggly) but if you want to try in the Moses basket again, try putting a hot water bottle in it while you feed the baby, then whip it out just before you lower the baby in, less of a temperature shock and worked for us for a while. Also have something in the basket like a tshirt you've been wearing as the sheet around the mattress, so the cot smells like you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now