Talk

Advanced search

CIO

(9 Posts)
Lifewithliv18 Sat 02-Dec-17 16:58:31

Please go easy on me as I already feel awful enough.. so after weeks of LO suddenly waking to comfort feed every hour in the night and refusing to be put down for bed until hours of comfort feeding have exhausted her, my mum finally got her way and pushed me to attempt CIO. My LO is 15 weeks old and although seems very young my mum told me she did it with both me and my brother when we were much younger. I did all the right things, ie fed, changed, winded, comfortable, put down almost asleep... but as soon as she hit the mattress she began wining and then crying and finally after only 5 minutes hysterically screaming and hyperventilating. I couldn’t bare any more than that and much to my mums disapproval I went in and comforted her. It took at least half an hour for her to calm down and her breathing to go back to normal but now every time I put her down asleep she wakes up screaming like she thinks I’m going to do it to her again. I feel so heartbroken as previously I would go to her the second she started whining and now I feel as though she had lost complete trust in me. She has not slept anywhere other than in my arms since the night before last as she will not be put down or she goes into total meltdown. Have I broken my poor child? Or should I have been consistent with CIO as have made it worse since picking her up? I really don’t know what’s right as there’s so many opinions and I feel like a clueless idiot. Just want what’s best for my baby without worrying about scarring her! Please help sad

TittyGolightly Sat 02-Dec-17 17:00:13

None of these techniques are recommended before 12 months now.

It clearly feels wrong to you, so stop doing it.

TittyGolightly Sat 02-Dec-17 17:00:52

Wild horses couldn’t persuade me to do any form of CC or CIO with a child. Have a read through this forum - there are loads of threads about it.

Spam88 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:12:47

Far far too young for cry it out (not that I'd ever use such a horrible 'technique' at any age). Just respond to your baby and I'm sure they'll calm down again once they learn you'll always be there when they get upset. Also sounds like you've hit the four month sleep regression, my DD has me up every 30-60 minutes for about 2 months but we seem to have done out the other side now, thank god.

AMagdalena Sat 02-Dec-17 17:15:39

Do you breast feed? Can't you co-sleep?
Baby will be calmer and you will get some much needed rest, too.
Clearly, CIO feels wrong to you, so simply don't do it.
Your DD will get there and sleep better.

crazycatlady5 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:29:09

CIO is outdated and damaging. Respond to your babies needs and you’ll be doing the right natural thing x

crazycatlady5 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:38:51

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/06/30/self-settling-what-really-happens-when-you-teach-a-baby-to-self-soothe-to-sleep/amp/

FATEdestiny Sat 02-Dec-17 18:39:27

Duplicate thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/3102551-CIO?msgid=73781049

Pseudousername Sat 02-Dec-17 18:47:58

15 weeks is a squee bit early to be worrying about sleep training. I'd wait 'til 9 - 12 months at least. Good luck whatever you decide OP. (CIO is fine in my opinion incidentally- we did it with no probs).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now