Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping bags

(12 Posts)
MagicFajita Sat 02-Dec-17 13:31:19

Hi all ,

I've just bought a pair of sleeping bags for my 5 week old and wondered if any of you have any tips/info regarding using them.

How do I know the fit is good and safe? If my baby is shorter than the length of the sleeping bag do I lay him foot to foot in his cot or end of sleeping bag to foot of cot.

Apologies if these are silly questions , it was all sheets and blankets when I last had a newborn.

Thank you.

Marcine Sat 02-Dec-17 13:34:37

You need to check he can't slip down in the sleeping bag - his head needs to be bigger than the neck of the bag. So long as that's the case you can place him anywhere in the cot, the length of bag doesn't matter.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 02-Dec-17 13:38:23

I only use grow bags appropriate for the weight of the baby. I would place the baby foot to foot.

MagicFajita Sat 02-Dec-17 13:39:42

Thank you Marcine.

Also I have noticed some bags have a minimum weight on them but mine (John Lewis) have a length specified. My baby is just over 9lbs so I assumed he'll be safe in one but now I'm questioning that.

MagicFajita Sat 02-Dec-17 13:40:36

They are obviously 0-6 months in size.

Marcine Sat 02-Dec-17 13:42:02

9lb should be absolutely fine in a 0-3 or 0-6 months bag. With the bag zipped up properly and arms out of the arm holes there should be no way he could wriggle down into it.

Bumdishcloths Sat 02-Dec-17 13:57:54

My 7 week old has two Grobags and a Tu bag - I don't put him in the Tu one yet as the neck is quite stretchy and it doesn't have popper adjustable armholes. He's fine in the Grobags though as they're not stretchy at all and have armhole poppers. He's 60cm long and 11lbs+ if that helps.

Chaosofcalm Sat 02-Dec-17 14:06:19

The ones I used had poppers under the arm so DD could not wriggle down.

MagicFajita Sat 02-Dec-17 14:09:44

Thanks for all of your responses. I'll try one on him later and check that the neck is narrower than his head and that the underarm poppers are well fitting.

FATEdestiny Sat 02-Dec-17 19:18:14

If my baby is shorter than the length of the sleeping bag do I lay him foot to foot in his cot or end of sleeping bag to foot of cot

Feet to foot is only relevant when using sheets or blankets. If you are using a sleeping bag, baby can go in any position in the cot.

MagicFajita Sun 03-Dec-17 20:57:21

I'm going to return the sleeping bags , They are 2.5 tog and my son probably won't be big enough for them until February so he'll only get a month or so out of them.

When I tried one on him the poppers were well positioned but the neck width was wider than the size of his head so I'd not be happy to have him sleep in one.

Thanks again for the tips , I might try a 0-3 sized one instead.

FATEdestiny Mon 04-Dec-17 18:02:07

I'd use 2.5 tog sleeping bags until June/July. I only move down to a 1 tog bag in the very height of summer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: