Talk

Advanced search

Keeping baby awake for longer in the afternoon

(14 Posts)
SpringtoSummer Thu 30-Nov-17 16:07:44

What do you do with small babies to keep them awake & entertained?
Mine is 10 weeks and would literally sleep all afternoon. The problem is that then she is awake all evening and gets overtired.
In the morning she is happy on her mat, watching me from her chair and singing songs etc with a nap after an hour usually. In the afternoon, she gets grumpy doing anything on her own (like being on the mat) and falls asleep if cuddled up to me. I've tried going out but she sleeps in the pram, sling and car.
Any ideas? Could she just be bored?!

pastabest Thu 30-Nov-17 16:10:38

Noooo sleep breeds sleep at that age.

She is 10 weeks old she is supposed to sleep most of the time.

It's also often luck of the draw how much babies that age sleep at night. Making them overtired during the day will only make night time sleep even worse.

I think it's something like 2 hours awake max during the day at that age.

pastabest Thu 30-Nov-17 16:12:59

A useful chart here

www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-needs/baby-toddler-bedtime-chart/

SpringtoSummer Thu 30-Nov-17 16:20:47

Thanks smile I'd say she sleeps more than the chart suggests for her age. She sleeps well at night but is awake in the evening even though she shows signs of being tired if that makes sense.
During the day I wake her after 2-3 hours to feed and was just wondering what I could try to make her want to be awake for a little while after.

crazycatlady5 Thu 30-Nov-17 17:28:55

The chart is literally just a guide. Never wake a sleeping babyb

NerrSnerr Thu 30-Nov-17 17:42:32

Unless told otherwise by GP/ health visitor I wouldn’t wake to feed, if she’s gaining weight ok just let her sleep. She’ll let you know when she’s hungry.

SpringtoSummer Thu 30-Nov-17 18:00:06

When I asked the HV whether the amount DD sleeps was normal she said it was fine as long as she fed every couple of hours so that's why I wake her - she just feeds and falls asleep again.

SpringtoSummer Thu 30-Nov-17 18:02:27

That's during the day obvs - at night I let her wake me

arbrighton Thu 30-Nov-17 19:15:48

no, don't wake her. As long as weight and nappy output ok

Marcine Thu 30-Nov-17 19:25:01

I never let any of mine go more than 3 hours between feeds in the day - you want them to feed in the day and not make up for it at night!
I have an 11 week old and we do a rough schedule of feed-awake time-nap in the day, there's usually 1 to 1.5 hours between each nap. She still cat naps and feeds all evening though.

SpringtoSummer Thu 30-Nov-17 19:45:16

What does she do while she is awake Marcine? I feel slightly clueless on activities for this age!

Arbrighton, I wake her so she can feed because the HV said to, probably because she dropped a percentile

Marcine Thu 30-Nov-17 21:59:28

Feeds, sits in her chair or lies on a play mat, watches her brothers/the cat, I sing or chat to her, sits on DP's lap while he watches boring war documentaries!

TittyGolightly Thu 30-Nov-17 22:00:41

Arbrighton, I wake her so she can feed because the HV said to, probably because she dropped a percentile

A percentile is nothing. Mine went from 91st to 25th and is absolutely fine.

FATEdestiny Thu 30-Nov-17 22:08:20

What does she do while she is awake

At 10 weeks she doesn't want to be awake more than 1h at a time mostly. Certainly no more than 90m awake time.

This includes a feed. So my awake time activities would be:

- wake naturally (note time and aim to have baby back to sleep within an hour)
- full feed
- wind cuddle
- onto floor. Nappy off time, smiling with mummy time (maybe 5 or 10 minutes)
- once grumpy, nappy back on. Some tummy time or under play gym (while I do a bit of housework)
- first sign of upset, cry, wanting to be picked up - they means it's sleep time. Or 1h from waking, if that comes first.
- reoffer breast for top up fed
- into bouncy chair with dummy, bounce until asleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: