Talk

Advanced search

Baby waking too early

(14 Posts)
Cariad1988 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:33:07

Hi mamas

After co-sleeping with my 9mo she has been in her own room for two weeks. She goes down great at night and wakes a few times briefly in the night and goes back to sleep but for the past few days she has been waking between 4-5am and refuses to settle. I get her up and she falls back asleep within 20 mins which tells me she hasn't had enough sleep but gets extremely upset if I try and put her back in her cot. I don't want to ruin our hard work by taking her back into my bed at that time but I can't let her cry and cry either. Any tips on getting her to sleep later? TIA

pastabest Thu 30-Nov-17 15:39:34

I would wait it out a little bit longer before worrying.

My 10month goes through phases of a few days not sleeping very well or waking early and it usually precedes a development leap or a tooth appearing or a cold starting.

FWIW I just bring DD in with us if I can see she isn't going to settle, I decided it's not worth the battle at that time in the morning and means we all get another few hours sleep. It only happens once or twice a month so she doesnt seem to make too much of a habit of it.

Blerg Thu 30-Nov-17 15:42:29

I had this issue - eventually realised I was putting DD down too early for her first nap of the day. Once we pushed that back it sorted itself out. She had been getting up at 4, and moved to 5.30/6. Sympathies- early starts are horrendous.

Smarshian Thu 30-Nov-17 15:43:56

Same as Blerg. I had this and then moved morning nap later, she now wakes at 6/6.30 (11 months)

Cariad1988 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:44:58

@pastabest thanks. I would be fine with taking her to my bed but I was a little scared she would wake earlier and earlier and expect it. I will just wait and see if it's just a phase xxx

Cariad1988 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:46:36

@Blerg @Smarshian really? I will try that. Thanks xx

Closetlibrarian Thu 30-Nov-17 15:49:13

Mine did this. I just took them back to bed with me so that everyone could sleep until a decent hour. They grew out of it pretty quickly (as in, within a few months) and soon they just started waking up at a normal time (7/7.30)

Smarshian Thu 30-Nov-17 15:50:10

Yes. I was finding she was tired at 8.30 as she was up so early but pushed nap back to about 10/10.30 and she started sleeping later. Good luck!

Missy450 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:27:26

Jumping in on this...why would moving first nap backward affect wake up time? I’m not arguing, just curious?? It’s good to know.

Smarshian Thu 30-Nov-17 20:02:13

I think for my dd she was getting used to having an early nap and relying on that sleep to top her off but when I pushed her nap back she got used to adding that extra sleep to her morning sleep.

makemineatriple Thu 30-Nov-17 21:17:09

I had this at exactly the same age. I sat with my son in his room in the dark and let him fall asleep on me. Then woke him at 7. Weirdly it seems to make a difference if they sleep in your lap verses in bed with you. Took a couple of weeks, but he gradually started to wake later.

FATEdestiny Thu 30-Nov-17 22:00:23

Cariad1988 - what is your day time nap routine currently?

Cariad1988 Fri 01-Dec-17 07:43:21

@FATEdestiny she is a bad napper. She only recently started going an hour since sleeping in her cot at night but they are usually 20 to 30 mins. I try and put her down 11 and 3 but she ends up being all over the place due to how short they are.

Cariad1988 Fri 01-Dec-17 07:45:38

Well on a hunch I put DD to bed at 7 on the dot instead of 7:30 to 8 and she slept till 6:20 which I can deal with. Hopefully this isn't a one off. I'll try pushing back naps etc and see what happens tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now