Talk

Advanced search

6 week sleep regression?

(4 Posts)
GMtoBe Wed 29-Nov-17 10:15:55

My daughter will be 6 weeks old on Friday and for the last 2 nights her sleep has been terrible. She only goes down for around an hour at a time (sometimes less!) after at least an hour of feeding/changing/general fussing. She sleeps soundly in my arms and my husband's arms but as soon as she's put down she's very fussy and sleeps poorly. She's very similar during the day and feeding much more at night.

I've tried sleeping when she does but she sleeps for such a short amount of time that by the time I can drop off she'll wake up a short time later. It's like the first few nights after she was born all over again!

Has anyone else experienced a 6 week sleep regression? Could it be something else? Has anyone got any survival tips? Thanks in advance!

FATEdestiny Wed 29-Nov-17 10:50:22

Try a swaddle, quite tight around the shoulders. Also add a dummy.

The swaddle calms the startle reflex and makes putting baby down easier. The dummy allows for comfort sucking, nature's way to calm and sooth baby. Tapping on the outside of the dummy encourages baby to suck.

Also feed well. Most sleep issues in the first 3 months are calorie related.

Finally wind well. Digestion issues cause lots if difficulty settling.

mummarosie1 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:15:21

If you get the app wonder weeks you will see that there is a developmental leap at 6 weeks, and often sleep goes squiffy and they get really hungry for this period.
So yes, it is to be expected!

LadyoftheLake123 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:16:08

@mummarosie1 Does disrupted sleep often accompany developmental leaps? My DS is now 8 weeks so at about the right time for leap 2 - and the last few nights his sleep has completely gone to pot! He's gone from reasonably long stints of sleep with typically only one short wake in the night, to multiple wakes, more crying and taking much longer to settle...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now