Talk

Advanced search

FATEdestiny

(7 Posts)
RiceButt Fri 24-Nov-17 22:36:39

I've not seen any advice from FATEdestiny in a while. Has she left or namechanged?

I always enjoy reading her advice on sleep.

FATEdestiny Sat 25-Nov-17 17:29:34

I've been poorly <sniff>

I'm still reading. But have mostly been napping when my toddler sleeps, because I'm not sleeping well myself. Hense not posting as much.

I'll be back...

TwinkleStars15 Sat 25-Nov-17 23:15:43

Oooh our very own sleep consultant smile

So FATE should be leaving you alone as you’re poorly my little one is 5 months today and an absolute treasure. We co-sleep, breastfeed, baby wear, bath together....you get the picture! But her sleep has really deteriorated over the past couple of months and she’s waking every 2 hours throughout the night, then she’ll do the odd 5/6 hour stretch and I rack my brains to work out what I did differently! Anyway, I feed her every time she wakes and she goes back off quite quickly but she doesn’t really need a feed, she must be doing it for comfort, or has she become dependent on it for sleep?? So my question is, do I just accept that my little cherub needs boobie for sleep/comfort and suck it up, or somehow try and not feed every wake, but I’m not comfortable with cry it out techniques. Your wisdom is appreciated flowers

Lallypopstick Sun 26-Nov-17 07:43:15

I’m not Fate, but this sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. Advice varies on what you should do but largely it seems like you just have to ride it out. Solidarity.

FATEdestiny Sun 26-Nov-17 19:53:37

So my question is, do I just accept that my little cherub needs boobie for sleep/comfort and suck it up, or somehow try and not feed every wake, but I’m not comfortable with cry it out techniques.

I wouldn't feed to sleep, if it was me. I favour encouraging independant sleep methods. Everything you mention (feed to sleep, cosleep, etc) are parent dependant sleep methods. Nothing wrong in that, but you need to set your expectations realistically. You can't expect an independent sleeper (sleeping in cot, going you sleep in own) if you use sleep methods that encourage depdndance not independence.

I'd give your baby a dummy. The simplest and easiest way to encourage independent sleeping without any crying. It taps into nature's own soothing method for babies - comfort sucking. But in a way that allows baby to sleep independently.

motherm Thu 30-Nov-17 22:15:33

I actually have a question linked to independent sleeping techniques. My 4 month old is currently suffering the 3/4 month sleep regression.. it seems she's been going through it for weeks and although she wouldn't accept a dummy to begin with, suddenly she accepted one. She is a sucky baby, since the womb, however her hands are not enough to soothe her to sleep on her own, so I was delighted she took the dummy. However, has anyone found the dummy has deflected from a baby naturally finding and sucking their hands or thumb to self soothe?
Heath Visitor said " get rid of the dummy, it promotes bad sleep habits" falling out and waking up baby.
What age do baby's generally self soothe? I'm now confused about what to do.
I'm offering a comfort blanket too but no interest yet.
Sorry to jump on your thread...

FATEdestiny Thu 30-Nov-17 22:28:47

I think if you're going to have a thumb sucker, baby wouldn't take a dummy as an alternate. I don't believe you can make by a thumb suckered by sheer will. I doubt you'll turn a dummy sucker into thumb sucker (and I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to).

Baby can generally learn to put the own dummy in at about 7-9 months old.

It dependable the development of fine motif skills, which are obviously develop at very different rates in individuals.

Comforter toys and blankets- I'd say they start getting noticed at around 9 months old and if they are going to be bonded with, that happens around 12 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: