Talk

Advanced search

How are your November babies sleeping ?

(19 Posts)
DuRezidal Mon 20-Nov-17 18:02:43

As the title really, those with newborns, how are they sleeping?

I can’t remember what the full sleep routine was for our daughter (she is 5 now) but our little boy is doing around 3 hours in between feeds at night at the moment. I feel our daughter did 4 hours when she hit the 3 weeks old mark, but that could just be wishful memories!

He also has a mad two hours from 8pm where he is ode awake and no matter what you do he will not go to sleep. He can also get a big grizzly at this time which is difficult with it being the time we usually sit down for dinner.

mummmyj Mon 20-Nov-17 18:11:01

Mine is the same Hun my DD is 3 weeks and is on 3 hourly at the moment but can become grizzly at times especially in the evening😀 what I tried is making sure that dinner time is before our dinner even if abit lower on oz an she will usually ask for more after an hour but then you have had dinner and can wind down with a feed and a little night routine how much is your LO drinking per feed?? X

Lules Mon 20-Nov-17 18:13:08

3 hours seems good to me. Mine is 8 weeks and has only recently changed to 4 hourly.

mummmyj Mon 20-Nov-17 18:18:36

I agree that 3 hours is very good and we are lucky that they are sleeping well 😀😀

WhoAteAllthePercyPigs Mon 20-Nov-17 18:41:14

Three hours is great! We have three or four hours to start with, followed by two hour wake ups. I'm giving DS (2weeks) a bottle of formula for his bedtime feed and breastfeeding the rest of the time so that's prob why. Taking him ages to get back to sleep after a feed though. With DD it was a different story, she refused to sleep in her moses basket so we spent the first few weeks holding her at night...

Sakura03 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:37:33

OMG will that ever happen to me and my lo? He is one week old today. The last two nights he’s been more or less been permanently attached to me and this afternoon/evening has been very similar, he’s only been cat napping today sleeping max 45 minutes at a time... is he not getting enough? We get plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Tonight he’s rooting around as if he is starving. So stressful...

FortheloveofJames Mon 20-Nov-17 19:49:50

He will be getting plenty, he’s just establishing your supply! I’m still EBF my DS, so I know how demanding the first few weeks of BF can be. They can have a right good old feed, only to be ravenous 10 mins later.

Set up a feeding station somewhere cosy, plenty of snacks and water/juice, a good box set and let someone else take care of the rest. You’re doing a fantastic job and it will settle down.

flowers

DuRezidal Mon 20-Nov-17 20:49:27

@mummmyj he is now on more or less 4oz every feed. The good bit is that after his grizzly time, when he wakes in the night he literally has his feed and then goes straight back to sleep.

That’s a good suggestion about giving him a little milk before dinner time, will try that tomorrow night.

DuRezidal Mon 20-Nov-17 20:52:52

@Sakura03 are you feeding him yourself or formula?

Sakura03 Mon 20-Nov-17 21:38:16

@FortheloveofJames thanks really appreciate your advice as I keep questioning myself...
@DuRezidal I’m breastfeeding him.

mummmyj Mon 20-Nov-17 22:04:05

My DD is getting up to that point bless her.. she turned from not eating much to the milk monster 😂😂😂 also another one and don’t know if you do already is swaddle and underarm carry.. if you have a look on YouTube there is a really good video from a doctor in America who shows you how.. really calms my LO down xx

mummmyj Mon 20-Nov-17 22:04:40

Just pop in on search engine on YouTube how to swaddle your baby xx

DuRezidal Mon 20-Nov-17 22:29:37

@Sakura03 it can take a few days for your milk to fully come down I believe so that could be why your little one is constantly looking to feed. In a few days the milk will come more and she will get more calories.

DuRezidal Mon 20-Nov-17 22:30:36

@mummmyj J is just in a sleep bag that is suitable for his size. I think you can make it a swaddle but he seems to get more cross when his arms are fastened in.

mummmyj Tue 21-Nov-17 00:04:58

Can try and have arms out Hun that’s what my DD has 😀 doesn’t work for all though.. that’s why babies are so lovely 😀 how did u find a sleeping bag for newborn.. been looking and cannot find as my DD is just in 8 pounds xx

Sakura03 Tue 21-Nov-17 02:58:45

@ DuRezidal - Never thought of that, I just know there is plenty as I’ve hand expressed a little for him too but yeah maybe he is waiting for the more calorific milk to come in?

DuRezidal Tue 21-Nov-17 04:01:04

It’s called a GroSnug, it’s fab! I have just swaddled him though after his 3.30am feed as he did a wee on his bag while I was changing him x

ClaireFraser Tue 21-Nov-17 04:20:22

Sakura your breasts produce colustrum at this point, it’s super super concentrated, very high in calories and full of antibodies and other good things that your baby needs.

So although your baby will only be getting tiny amounts it’s all they need, IIRC a two day old baby has a stomach the size of a cherry so only needs tiny quantities. But this also means tummy empties very fast hence constant feeding.

Baby also feeding lots whilst your milk is coming in to try and get ‘supply and demand’ going. Prolactin (BF hormone) levels are highest at night so that’s why new babies feed most at night to get production going.

Hang on in there, as long as getting wet and dirty nappies and baby seems alert, then they will be getting enough to eat and all should start to settle a little in next few days.

mummmyj Tue 21-Nov-17 20:51:36

@DuRezidal thanks for that I will be ordering one tonight as have tried so hard to find something that will not overheat and is small enough as DD is a diddy baby 😀😀😀 hopefully she won’t pee in hers lol😂😂 xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: