Talk

Advanced search

Nap time help

(8 Posts)
Newtothismumthing1 Sun 19-Nov-17 10:55:44

My three month old sleeps fine at night in her cot but will only take her naps lying on someone- namely me! I try to transfer to her cot once I assume she’s in a deep enough sleep but as soon as touching the mattress her eyes spring open. I can’t keep losing hours of the day whilst she sleeps on me yet the other alternative is a cranky baby.
Any tips gratefully needed!!

FATEdestiny Sun 19-Nov-17 21:34:41

It's not unusual for baby to need more help fetting to sleep in the daytime compared to night. This explains why cot sleep is easier at night.

How about trying a bouncy chair for daytime naps? I'd team with a dummy to comfort such and nice, rhythmic bouncing.

Newmum26 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:35:07

My 6 month old is exactly the same!
Sleeps like a baby at night in his cot goes down wide awake and goes to sleep on his own within minutes no fussing or crying.
Day time naps in the cot a completely different story he just cries and cries and gets himself in a right state.
He won’t take a dummy at all.
He naps while out in the car or on me at home. I can put him down once he’s called asleep on me in his cot. Or push chair is another favourite. I feared if I pushed the cot in the day too much then I may upset his night time settling 😱

crazycatlady5 Mon 20-Nov-17 08:52:09

No tips as my 9 month old slept on me for the first 4-5 months of her life! I recommend a snack/TV station with a good box set on the go. I now miss being able to do that!

BootsCats Mon 20-Nov-17 13:44:44

Sadly no help as 6 month old dd is exactly the same. Falls asleep lovely in her cot at night and sleeps for 12 hours waking once for a bottle. During the day she will not sleep anywhere except for in my arms or in our bed so either way I can’t do anything and feel I’m just losing hours in the day. The minute she feels me going to put her down she is wide awake and gets so upset. As much as I love the cuddles I would just like one daytime nap to be in her crib so I can get little bits done because even when she’s awake And I try to do anything it’s only 5 mins and she’s bored of whatever she’s doing so I have to stop . I’ll be watching here for tips!

Newtothismumthing1 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:25:59

Thanks all- I guess if nothing else I don’t feel alone on the matter. Today we made a pit of blankets in the lounge and she briefly napped on them - no where near as long as when laying on me but will keep trying and try and progress to the cot.

Daisym45 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:46:45

My 6 mo old is the same. Settles lovely during the night but not for naps. I feed to sleep for naps mostly and I used to hold him downstairs and watch tv until he was probably about 5 1/2 months. I then moved naps to upstairs to the dark bedroom as he was getting so distracted and I now feed to sleep but can put him down after 10 mins. I find he much he is much more accepting of being transferred only big bed or cot now. So hopefully this will happen for you too.

Remember that naps will reduce and eventually fizzle out so try not to worrry too much, although it is stressful.

Cuppaqueen Thu 23-Nov-17 08:20:40

At 6 months you could try a bit of pick up/ put down? So rock or cuddle to sleep, put down gently and when baby springs awake, don't immediately pick up, just soothe, shush, stroke etc. My son used to like being helped onto his side and patted on the back. If baby is just fussing, keep soothing. If it escalates to crying, pick up and cuddle until calm then back in the cot and repeat. In a darkened room, sleeping bag, white noise etc. The first few times, it may take a while - 40 mins - but if you persevere and are consistent, baby may well get the idea! Also morning nap is the easiest one to start with as sleep drive is stronger then. In time, you could then move to baby going down drowsy rather than asleep but I found that too much to achieve in one go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now