Talk

Advanced search

Ds getting histerical

(4 Posts)
ImAMarshmellow Mon 13-Nov-17 22:04:38

Ds is 14 months. For the last few months me and dp have been reluctant co-sleepers. We’ve put it down to teething, colds, generally being a bit poorly but there’s nothing wrong with him. He will just about go down okay, but he will typically wake about 9-10pm and have a bit of a grumble, this will then turn into hysterical screaming within about 5 seconds. Nothing will calm him, unless we take him into our room.
We have tried sleep training/controlled crying and he would get so worked up to the point he would be red faced with tears streaming down his face. Needless to say we gave up with this.
He’s now laid next to me in bed and is quite content after waking up about 5 mins ago. We can tell if he’s poorly because he’ll still cry once he’s in our bed, 90% of the time he will smile and go back to sleep as soon as he realises he’s in our room. If we try and put him in his room, he will massively kick off.
We’ve had no big changes recently. He’s been in his own room since about. 6 months, I’ve been back at work since he was 9 months.
We’re at a loss what to do, and he seems to get worse.
We really don’t want to co-sleep and we don’t want to end up with. 3/4 year old still in the bed.
Does anyone have much experience of this, or suggestions of what the hell we can do?

crazycatlady5 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:15:58

We really don’t want to co-sleep and we don’t want to end up with. 3/4 year old still in the bed. people always seem to be really afraid of this but it’s not something that always happens, it really isn’t. I know many kids (myself included) who happily went into my own room when I was ready.

Couple of things you can do:
- put open sided cot next to your bed to maximise space and embrace him needing you and being in the room for a bit longer
- get a floor bed instead of cot for his room and wait till he goes to sleep. Repeat with all night wakings.

Good luck x

wetsnow Tue 14-Nov-17 01:17:18

If you don't want him in your bed then you need to just put up with a couple of nights being strict and returning him to his bed.. he will be upset... that's expected but you are the parent and he sleeps where you want him to. Good luck op.

ImAMarshmellow Tue 14-Nov-17 05:45:34

I’ll give the cot idea a go. No idea if it will fit in our room, but at least I might not get kicked in the head by a sleeping child.

We tried controlled crying a few times and to be fair thought we were getting somewhere, but then after a couple of night he started to get inconsolable. We would go in every 3 then 5 then 7 minutes etc. Up to a maximum of 15 minutes each time and I think this went on for nearly 2 hours and he just wouldn’t calm down.
He just wears me down and dp is next to bloody useless which doesn’t help.
Thanks for the suggestions though smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: