Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Changing routine

(11 Posts)
whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 13-Nov-17 18:44:09

I’m debating whether to change my 11 month old DD bed time routine. At present it is working pretty well but I am feeding her until she’s sleepy then putting her in her cot giving a comforter and then she goes to sleep and everything I’ve read says hat I shouldn’t be doing this. Is this right or should I carry on?
I was thinking of stopping giving her milk in her bedroom to go to sleep instead giving it her after her bath on the sofa with me. This would only be 30mins after her tea though!
All very confusing, should I change it or can I carry on with what I’m doing?

This routine does not work when her dad puts her to bed, she screams blue murder and I don’t have a clue why, this is a whole other issue I’ll probably be doing another thread for!!!

She goes down for naps like a dream!

Justbookedasummmerholiday Mon 13-Nov-17 18:45:37

Can you make the gap between tea and supper bigger? My ds had a weetabix and a bottle at 7 after tea at 5 and slept 12 hours right through!!

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 13-Nov-17 19:04:53

She doesn’t have supper just her milk in a bottle before bed. Tea is a 5/515 which usually takes about an hour then it’s bath, chill, bottle, bed.

ButtMuncher Mon 13-Nov-17 19:11:09

The only thing I've read is that you shouldn't be putting them down asleep - e.g. Feeding to sleep, as it doesn't create the association of self settling. So what you're currently doing sounds okay in that baby is still awake when placed in cot, and to some extent self settles to sleep.

Is your baby able to self settle in the night if they wake?

DS has a bath, story, bottle and then a cuddle and kiss and placed into his cot - sometimes he's dozy, sometimes he's wide awake. The main thing is he's not asleep. He has a dummy and I try to remove that before I leave the room.

Marcine Mon 13-Nov-17 19:14:22

You need to brush her teeth after the bottle.

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 13-Nov-17 19:18:39

9 times out of 10 she does settle herself back to sleep but sometimes I need to go I’m and give her dummy when she can’t find the ones I’ve put in her cot which I don’t find too bad to be honest as it’s usually only once or twice through the night!
I don’t out her down fully asleep, tonight she wasn’t even drowsy when I put her down but after 5 mins she was screaming, I went in and she’d thrown her comforter out of the cot, I laid her down and fingers crossed she’s quiet!
I’ve also read about the bottles after 12 months, which has also been playing on my mind as the bottle obviously helps her settle to sleep

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 13-Nov-17 19:19:38

marcine
Sorry I didn’t mention we do bath teeth bottle bed, I’m guessing this isn’t right?

Marcine Mon 13-Nov-17 20:50:13

You just need to change it round so you brush her teeth after the bottle, otherwise all that sugar stays on her teeth overnight.

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 13-Nov-17 21:02:11

Ok so if I changed it where she’s not having the bottle in bedroom we can do bath bottle teeth bed! Thank you 😊

FATEdestiny Mon 13-Nov-17 21:03:07

Brush her teeth after the bottle. That's enough to disrupt the association.

Also, children don't have to have milk at bedtime. If you want to break the milk-sleep association fully and don't think it's practical to give the bottle 30 mins earlier, you could just not give it at all. As long as baby is well fed and had enough milk/fluids in the day, bedtime milk is not essential. We've always dropped bedtime milk entirely by 18 months anyway.

crazycatlady5 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:23:29

You don’t really state there is anything wrong, other than you’ve been told you’re doing it wrong? Sounds like baby is settling fine? Also it’s quite normal for young babies to rely solely on one caregiver, usually mum, to get them to sleep. Won’t be forever x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now