Talk

Advanced search

Why is DS waking at night?

(8 Posts)
superduperdo Mon 13-Nov-17 07:22:29

DS2, who is 21 months, has been a pretty good sleeper since starting to sleep through at 8 months or so. He self settles, and I put him to bed awake but sleepy. He has always woken now and again, but settled easily after a cuddle, and sometimes settled himself by switching his “Ewan the dream sheep” on by himself.

For the past 2 weeks he has been waking consistently, anytime between 1 and 4am, and getting really distressed, and then staying awake for 3-4 hours, sometimes more.

When I go to him he clings to me, and won’t settle back into his cot, but if I bring him into bed with us he bounds around like it’s morning, chattering away and trying to switch the overhead light on and off! hmmI’ve tried leaving him to see if he settles by himself, but he just gets hysterical really quickly. If DH goes to him rather than me, he hits him and screams and shouts for me. He won’t be rocked or cuddled back to sleep, he wants to sit on my knee and cuddle but doesn’t seem remotely sleepy, and as soon as he gets the idea that he’s going back into his cot he gets upset. He’s also started to get upset at bedtime, and often cries for 2-3 mins before he goes to sleep, which he’s never done. Sometimes he eventually falls back asleep after 3-4 hours, but if it’s after 3am he’s usually up for the day. sad
Help! I’m getting increasingly exhausted and grumpy, after getting less than 4 hours sleep a night for about 2 weeks. He’s also very grumpy in the daytime! I know “this too shall pass”, but what could be going on? And how do I fix it?!

lightcola Mon 13-Nov-17 07:26:10

Can you try lying in his room with him? So not moving him out of his bed and encouraging him to go back to sleep there. Maybe make up a bed next to his you can move into. Try and limit interaction with him but let him know you are there. Sounds like separation anxiety which will eventually pass.

BowlingShoes Mon 13-Nov-17 07:28:55

Dd1, always a good sleeper, was terrible at that age. Turned out it was her back teeth, which only seemed to bother her at night. Any chance it could be that?

superduperdo Mon 13-Nov-17 12:24:36

It could be teeth Bowlingshoes, he has been cutting molars, but the rest of his teeth haven’t really bothered him so I’m not sure. Separation anxiety seems more likely Lightcola sadunfortunately his room is too small for a bed for me, I sometimes sit on a chair in their but obviously I can’t sleep like that. I would be quite happy with him in our bed, his big brother has always come in with us now and again, but he won’t settle in with us either!
Thanks for the replies anyway. I just keep reminding myself that this won’t be forever, it’s actually only been a fortnight. It just feels like a long time, when I’m used to him sleeping! The whole school run / working day is feeling a bit like wading through treacle at the moment, and I’m finding myself being snappy with both boys, which is not like me.

BowlingShoes Mon 13-Nov-17 14:23:05

Try some ibuprofen or calpol anyway, you never know.

Bubblysqueak Mon 13-Nov-17 14:24:29

Is he getting a bit chilly. It's around that time at night our house is at its coldest.

DappledThings Mon 13-Nov-17 20:19:33

Hi, I've just started a very similar post and now seen yours. No ideas but I will be following this too!

dointhedo Tue 14-Nov-17 00:54:07

We’re on a second bout of this at the moment with DS (2.5) and have put it down to cutting molars. Lots of cuddles and gentle distraction has worked so far (eg moving him into the bathroom and putting the shower on with the lights low to change the atmosphere and calm him down a bit while the calpol kicks in). Back to the realms of sleep deprivation for a while it is! Hope it improves for you soon OPbrew

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: