Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

18m DS crying for mummy

(5 Posts)
shemakesmewaitonabedofnails Sat 11-Nov-17 20:09:48

Hi all. DS typically sleeps well - from 7pm to around 6am, and will go to sleep by himself. Bath, book, cot, I walk out and he cuddles his teddy (no dummy) and after a few minutes he goes to sleep. He is either silent or happily chatting.

The last couple of weeks he has (on and off) been lying down in his cot quietly for 20 minutes or so and then will stand up in his cot shouting for mummy and sobbing. He is consoled when I go into the room, but I either have to creep out or if I leave and he notices, he’s up and shouting again. This has been going on tonight since 7:15pm. I’m loathe to stay with him to go to sleep because it’s a habit I don’t want to start, but this sobbing is breaking my heart. Any suggestions?

crazycatlady5 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:27:46

It might be a habit to stay with him till he goes to sleep but it wouldn’t be forever.

I think there’s a sleep regression at 18 months teamed with separation anxiety x

shemakesmewaitonabedofnails Sat 11-Nov-17 21:17:32

Oh really? I didn’t know that. Ok so if it’s a temporary thing then I can stay with him. But how do we wean him off it? It also seems odd that he’s fine for 20 mins or so and then sobs. He’s also just been (I thought) sleep since 8:45pm but has just started crying and standing again. It’s so upsetting 🙁
Thank you for your post!

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Nov-17 21:26:12

There's always times when children need extra reassurance for one reason or another. Illness, pain, over tired, starting nursery, starting school starting secondary school, splitting up with boyfriend, falling out with best friend...

There is no great problem with developing something you do for these discrete periods of time when your 13 year old baby needs a bit of extra TLC. It's not something children grow out of, not really. Neither will it necessarily be habit forming or a big deal.

shemakesmewaitonabedofnails Sat 11-Nov-17 21:31:31

Thanks wise ones of MN. So you reckon stay with him then. It’s my pleasure to do so and to hear those lovely sleepy snuffles is lovely! I think I’ll make sure I only go back if he needs me - ie not stay in automatically but go back in if he cries. Fingers crossed 🙂thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now