Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

10month old naps- when do they start to change?

(5 Posts)
April45 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:36:27

DS is approaching 10 months, he sleeps well for naps in the day taking 1.5 hrs at 9.30am and 2 (ish). His night sleep isn't that great and I'm wondering if he sleeps too well/much in the day?

What are the signs I need to reduce daytime sleep?

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Nov-17 18:05:42

I wouldn't reduce the amount of daytime sleep. Sometimes people get their timings out and that effects night time sleep, but your timings look ok.

How do you get baby to sleep?

April45 Tue 14-Nov-17 04:54:36

We're on a journey of working towards him falling asleep just by me patting to sleep but at the moment we're at the stage of me rocking until he's drowsy then put in the cot. DS has been teething so that's affected progress!

When you say about timings, what do you mean? DS is getting more tricky to put down for his afternoon nap (I think he needs more awake time) but this means his nap finishes later and therefore less of a gap before bed. This is where I was thinking do I reduce the length of the afternoon nap??

FATEdestiny Tue 14-Nov-17 20:46:20

Your method of getting him to sleep is more likely to be the cause of night wakes, rather than daytime sleep. As you progress further down your journey to independant sleep, this should improve.

The reason for this is the brief environment checks baby does between sleep cycles. If baby goes to sleep in the place they stay asleep then these environment checks are just semi-conscious roll over and back to sleep. But if baby goes to sleep in your arms and close to you, then wakes along and in the cot, instead of rolling over baby properly wakes up and had to be resettles from awake.

As I said, your daytime sleep timings seem ok to me. I would be doing a 9am nap of 1.5-2h and a 1pm nap of 1.5-2h. (I did 1pm because I had to factor in a 3pm school run, 2-4pm would have been better). Then an 8pm bedtime and a 7am wake.

April45 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:07:51

Brill, thanks fate. Interestingly, we've had slightly shorter naps today by chance and he's settled beautifully rather than his initial restlessness- It may be a fluke! But yes, I know he needs to learn to sleep independently but it's taking us some time to get there unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now