Talk

Advanced search

Need advice

(7 Posts)
Christina1402 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:48:12

I have a 3 week old baby and she's really good in the day, e.g, has her naps after each feed and what not but when it gets to the night time she won't settle at all, not even for a hour! I've got some infacol in case she has colic but it's not helping, can anyone give me some advice please? I know it takes newborns a few months to get into a sleeping pattern but she just won't sleep at all.

crazycatlady5 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:59:26

Is it because she falls asleep in your arms, then you try to put her down and she wakes up? This is a common thing that comes up here as newborns want to be near their mama.

Best thing to try is cosleeping, or swaddle and dummy.

Beyondtheshore Thu 09-Nov-17 14:01:41

Ah, I feel your pain - my first was like this. Champion napper during the day, reliably awake (or at least dozing on the boob) 6 pm - 5 am. I think it is fairly normal for babies that tiny - they often have their days and nights muddled up from inside the womb. I remember sobbing to the midwife, who advised two hourly feeds through the day, stripping her off, tickling her toes, bathing her, whatever it took to get her to wake up for a proper feed every two hours, and also as much daylight as possible. The daylight thing helps them get their circadian rhythms sorted out, although it is harder to do with a winter baby.

If it’s any consolation, she got her days and nights sorted by about six weeks, and became a great little sleeper after that. It won’t last, although it’s horrible while it does. In the meantime, go easy on yourself, and never underestimate the restorative power of a hot shower, a cup of tea, and some fresh air (tho slobbing on the sofa is just fine too.) flowers

Christina1402 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:24:57

Crazycatlady5 Yeah I let her fall asleep in my arms because if I don't she will keep crying until I pick her up again, I will give swaddling a try tonight, thank you.

Christina1402 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:27:11

Beyondtheshore, she always has a bath before bed and I use that Johnson's bedtime wash and lotion but that didn't help, I hope she will just settle into a pattern soon, thank you xx

crazycatlady5 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:31:27

@Christina1402 it’s totally normal. She doesn’t realise she’s not a part of you yet. Let her sleep on you as much as possible and if you’re not comfortable cosleeping, try the swaddle x

Christina1402 Thu 09-Nov-17 17:04:47

@crazycatlady5 I have tried for co sleeping with her as it's the only way I can get some sleep but I get so paranoid when I do, I bought one of them dream sheep's today so I will see if that does any use, thank you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now