Talk

Advanced search

Nursery too cold!

(11 Posts)
ReedFoxE Wed 08-Nov-17 08:43:05

We've had to move my 3 month old into his own room already (our room is too small for his cot and he's outgrown his moses basket already), he's taken to it fine but now that we're in November his room is getting so cold in the mornings sad
When we go in for the night feeds at about 3/4am, his room is around 16 or 17 degrees and he's fine with that, but this morning when I went in to get him it was 14.6 degrees on the groegg. He wears a long sleeved bodysuit and 2.5 tog grobag, and while his chest, tummy and legs are lovely and warm (he's got little pimply spots on his legs which the HV says is from his legs getting too warm), his hands, forearms and face are so so cold. It doesn't seem to bother him and he never cries because he's cold, but I'm worried anyway. He has some dry skin on his head and face and I'm assuming it's from where he's cold.
I've tried putting little mittens on his hands to keep them warm but he pulls them off in the night so I'm not sure what else I can do? We put the heating on high in the evenings to warm his room up, which works until the morning when the temp drops so much. I don't know if it's just a case of us turning the heating up high at his night feed and hoping it warms up in time.

sleepycat13 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:34:46

I can understand your concern, I would be freezing in that temperature but if he isn't bothered by it then i would say don't worry he is probably totally ok. I think from memory he is probably dressed correctly as per the grobag temperature guidelines but worth double checking what they say. have you tried any of those babygrow sleep suit things that have the built in mittens on the end? should help them stay on all night to keep his hands warm. or you could sew some of your mittens into the sleep suits you already use to stop them coming off.

cakeymccakington Wed 08-Nov-17 10:38:51

He'll be fine. I grew up in a house with no heating as I'm sure many others did...

TheCrowRd Wed 08-Nov-17 10:46:16

You could buy an oil filled radiator with a thermostat and set to a specific temperature so it stays same temp overnight?

RoganJosh Wed 08-Nov-17 10:49:44

I think they’re meant to get cold hands. I remember a little freezing purple hand regularly snaking its way onto my bare waist as I was feeding. So long as down the back of neck is warm then it’s fine.

You’d take them out in a lot less than 14 and not worry about dry skin so that may not be the cause.

LapinR0se Wed 08-Nov-17 10:59:54

ini would have him in a long sleeved vest, bodysuit and 2.5 tog bag of the room is only 14-16 degrees.
Or a 3.5 tog bag and a sleepsuit with padded sleeves

Cantgetagoodusername Wed 08-Nov-17 11:42:32

My DS room was 14 degrees this morning. Cold room & old window hmm

I dress him in a long sleeved vest, body suit & 2.5 gro bag. It's his hands & feet that get cold. I don't worry too much as his body seems warm, but I am contemplating putting a pair of socks under his body suit!

LilaGrace Wed 08-Nov-17 11:54:11

Could you leave the heating on overnight, but just turn it down? So say 20 degrees until you go to bed, and then turn down to 17 degrees overnight? This is what we do- although I don’t mind a cold room, I think 14 degrees (and sometimes lower in the middle of winter) is pretty cold for little children.

Landy10 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:31:04

We leave our heating on 24 hours a day. 22 in the day and put it to 20 when we go to bed. It doesn’t cost much extra - only £30 more last winter (first time we did this) compared to the one before. The previous year we just had it on 2 hours in morning and 3 hours in evening! I think the cost of heating a really cold house up is high so if it’s always relatively warm it never needs a huge energy output.

FATEdestiny Wed 08-Nov-17 22:59:37

Our bedrooms are about 18-20 deg overnight. Toddler DD is currently in a fleecey onesie and 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

If rooms were 16 deg or under id add a long sleeved vest, socks and possibly mittens or similar. 14 deg is very cold!

JellyJ Wed 08-Nov-17 23:13:53

I have my heating set on 15 overnight (and it almost never needs to come on so uses hardly any gas). When DS was a baby he was in a very cold room and we used an oil filled radiator to keep it around 15 or 16 in his room.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: