Talk

Advanced search

22 month old - great sleeper to terrible sleeper help!!

(6 Posts)
Mummybear17 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:54:43

Hi mums netters I hope someone can offer some help please.

Our 22 month old son has been a perfect sleeper since about 8 weeks old however in the past 3-4 weeks he became very unsettled with his nap and then night time sleeping.

He would previously nap like clockwork for 2-3 hours for around 10am now he will settle around 1.5 once he has had some reassurance from us being beside him-this isnt the biggest issue though.

At night time he would previously settle between 6-7 for 12 hours sleep. Now he will go off to sleep at this time with some reassurance - one of us being beisde him (this is due to him becoming anxious if he was left alone)
once asleep he will then wake around 11, then sometimes 11.30, 12, 1.30, 4 and so on. Unless we sleep beside him or bring him to our bed he wont sleep.

We are so exhausted and also he must be suffering from his broken nights sleep as a growing toddler.

We have two more children and never experienced this issue so have no idea what to do to help and get him back to his routine.

We have ruled out teething and the cotbed is fine and warm enough. Any other ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am sleep walking my way through life currently sad

LapinR0se Tue 07-Nov-17 14:33:45

THeres a really bad sleep regression between 22 and 25 months. I would get him checked over at the GP to make sure there is no underlying physical issue eg ear or throat problems but otherwise this one (in our house) was all about offering a lot of reassurance at bedtimes. It resolved within about a month I think.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Nov-17 16:39:50

Are you sure it's not molars cutting? It's just the right age and would give read on for the very sudden change. Otherwise, illness is probably most likely - something like a sore throat maybe?

Mummybear17 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:35:26

Thank you. I did wonder if it could be molars as teething has always disturbed him a lot - I might bring him along to have it checked out.
The reassurance is definitely important for him. He's anxious when he sees us getting ready to go out in the mornings or weekends as he fears being left (on occasion he's with grandma or nanny if I'm at work) but is only one day a week. Fingers crossed it won't last much longer!

TheHandmaidsTail Tue 07-Nov-17 19:39:00

Maybe stop the nap? I know that can be counterproductive sometimes but I'd give it a go.

I let DC3 into our bed blush but he's 3 and a half so I'm praying thinking he will grow out if it soon enough.

LalaLeona Thu 09-Nov-17 21:32:43

The second molars are worse than all the others in my experience they could be coming soon. My son was unsettled for about 5 weeks before his actually erupted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now