Talk

Advanced search

Almost 1yr won’t be put down

(5 Posts)
ChocolateChipMuffin2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:00:49

My DS is almost one and has never been a brilliant sleeper but we’re having a huge problem literally putting him down. I think we might be the problem but I’m hoping you guys might be able to offer us some advice.
So for all naps and bed times our DS is basically rocked/bopped to sleep with either us singing or shushing. We then put him in the cot but when we go to put him down he will wake up and scream. If we pick him up he’ll calm almost instantly and go back to sleep, if we leave him for more than a second he’ll scream to the point of almost chocking! We basically have to hold him until he’s in a deep enough sleep to be put down which can take up to an hour. He does this in the middle of the night too (2am seems to be his favorite time!) which is why it’s such a problem (I’ve recently gone back to work part time) and sometimes this is more than once a night. I don’t mind so much being woken in the night but he used to wake, quick boob back to sleep, back in the cot and all done in about 10-15 mins. It’s only in the last 2-3 months he’s taken to really protesting being put back in the cot.
I’ve done a bit of reading on here and I’m guessing the biggest issue is putting him to bed already asleep, but if we put him in his cot awake, are we just supposed to let him scream? As I’ve tried that in the day and he just cried!
Also, he’s not always boobed to sleep, my DH and I can also get him back to sleep with just cuddles etc but DH also can’t put him down without the screaming.
Any ideas of what we can try?

ChocolateChipMuffin2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:04:17

Sorry, forgot to add, he won’t take a dummy, tried it a few times, he just played with them!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 06-Nov-17 22:08:33

Can you start lying down with him as he falls asleep instead of rocking him? He won't like it to start with, but it'll get him used the the idea of going to sleep lying down without movement, but you'll be right there next to him.

From that, it's a gradual retreat thing.

Mine went through a mad stage at a year old and Just. Wouldn't. Sleep. He did settle down after a month or two.

crazycatlady5 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:20:05

Can you switch from a cot to a floor bed? Baby proof the room and lie with baby. Many babies just don’t like cots, and the very feeling of being put down startled them. Look up baby floor beds.

bathghter Tue 07-Nov-17 21:47:15

i am at my wits end with my 6mo who is exactly this. hyperventilating and hysterical if he’s awake in the cot for more than literally about 5 seconds sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now