Talk

Advanced search

Transition nightmare from cocoona baby nest to flat mattress

(14 Posts)
akutch Mon 06-Nov-17 13:58:34

Hi I am looking for some support from someone that has gone through something similar, some reassurance or advice as well. My 3 month old baby girl has up until now been sleeping soundly in a coccona baby nest. I used to wrap a cellular blanket over the edges and underneath it and have her arms tightly tucked underneath. I felt it was time to get her out of the cocoona because she will soon grow out of it, she doesnt have any bad tummy issues anymore and I thought that its better to get her used to not sleeping in it now before it really gets set in stone which I hear things do get more set at around 3 months. So she has gone from going down with no fuss. literally do he bed time routine. feed her and then I used to put her in when she would come off the boob pretty asleep but then she would wake when I transferred her to the cocoona nest and within 30 seconds she would go off to sleep again. and she would sleep for 4/5/6 hours the first stint, then 3/4 hrs and again 2/3 hours and sometimes another waking at some point in the night. so 3/4 wakings from 8 to 8 am. And each time she would go down in an instant and stay asleep till the next feed. Now its like a totally different sleep pattern. for the last three nights. We have gone cold turkey to a flat mattress in a slevelss 2.5 tog grobag. and she is un able to self sooth and go back to sleep if she wakes. Its much harder to put her down withhout her stirring. She wakes every 1 or 2 3 maybe once if we have white noise blaring. Her hands are always cold and I wonder if she feels cosy enough. The main issue is because she has had her arms tucked away all this time, suddenly her arms are free and they flayle around a lot and she seems very disturbed by the freedom her arms have, they wake her up as she tries to fall asleep and she doesnt seem to know what or where to put them! I have thought of swaddling her but then I think thats going to be another thing I will have to wean her off when she starts to roll which isnt too long from now. Anyway Has anyone experienced this? WIll she get back to her normal sleeping ways? Thanks very much! HELP! xxxx

xhannahx Mon 06-Nov-17 14:09:18

If it's not working just bring the cocoonababy back, she clearly isn't ready yet and there is no rush.

Let your baby take the lead, you might find in a months time she is more willing to sleep without it, or she might continue in it for a few months longer. Our DD slept in her sleepyhead until 6 months when she rolled to her tummy and we then removed it.

Don't cause yourself stress now preventing "bad habits" when she might transition out of the cocoonababy all on her own when she is ready.

LapinR0se Mon 06-Nov-17 14:36:09

I disagree as I think 3 months is getting close to rolling age and I would definitely look to transition if you can.
Your baby might be feeling cold, what’s she wearing as well as the 2.5 tog bag?

akutch Mon 06-Nov-17 14:46:49

she wears a short sleeved vest and a sleepsuit, her hands do feel very cold and her arms. its 18/19 degrees in our bedroom but feels colder cos of big old sash windows

xhannahx Mon 06-Nov-17 14:54:33

Could be months before she rolls...but sure, make your life harder 👍

Mammacino Mon 06-Nov-17 15:01:04

Yeah. We had this. I don't know what to tell you - it was awful! I loved the cocconababy but I don't know if I'd use it again because it really lulled us into a false sense of everything being relatively manageable. FWIW, I don't think you should put her back in it - partly because she's getting to the age she might be able to roll and that would be dangerous and partly because I think this is going to happen at whatever stage you transition her. From memory, it literally messed our baby up for months - he didn't get used to sleeping flat for ages. Sorry, that is NO HELP whatsoever is it?!! He sleeps well now (he's 3!!!)!!

Mammacino Mon 06-Nov-17 15:12:37

Also though: you might just be hitting a sleep regression that happens to coincide with your removing the cocoonababy. It is common to hear people talk about a four month regression - she might be hitting it early. From memory I think their arms are supposed to be a little cool - as long as their core is warm - so you may already have her appropriately dressed. She will eventually sleep better, yes, and there will probably be other sleep obstacles - it's not really a linear progression, in my experience. Good luck!

sycamore54321 Mon 06-Nov-17 15:17:15

Do you have any of those babygros that have the scratch mittens built in, so you can fold them over her hands for bedtime and that will easily solve the cold hands issue?

crazycatlady5 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:31:37

Bring the cocoona back. Mine was in a sleepyhead till 8 months and sleeps fine now without it -although still wakes 83743782 times a night--

crazycatlady5 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:32:11

strikethrough fail

LapinR0se Mon 06-Nov-17 16:55:35

Yes it will be hard no matter when you stop. In fact the longer you leave it the harder it will be.
If the bedroom is 18 degrees I would do a long sleeved vest, babygro and possibly a pair of socks under the 2.5 tog bag

jennymor123 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:25:54

On a more general point, I'd advise anyone with young children to not buy UK-made mattresses, upholstered prams, buggies, etc. They all contain flame retardant chemicals which the manufacturers claim they must use in order to pass the UK's strict flammability laws. This isn't entirely true; what they really mean is they want to use the cheapest materials possible for the maximum cost. If you can, buy over the internet from say Sweden or Germany. This is perfectly legal; you just can't sell the products on at a later date.

jennymor123 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:27:33

Sorry, forgot to say that flame retardant chemicals are guilty of a wide range of health issues, particularly in growing children. Thyroid hormone disruption is a major problem, for example.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Nov-17 16:07:10

OP - I'd suggest a sheet over the top of baby in the sleeping bag. Place baby (in sleeping bag and best and sleepsuit) in the feet to foot position in the cot. Use a cot sheet width ways across baby's body so that there is plenty of width to tuck in.

Then tuck baby's arms downwards and tuck in very snug and tight, all the way around and under the mattress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now