Talk

Advanced search

Ewan the sheep

(17 Posts)
Bostonbullsmumma Mon 06-Nov-17 11:28:37

Hi everyone! I have a 9 week old baby who is EBF.

Did anyone find that Ewan the sheep worked to settle their babies?

Baby is fed to sleep and takes a while to settle.

I know he's still little but any tips for him self settling at night? My older child took a dummy but baby doesn't seem interested and just spits it out!

Hoping to get in some sort of routine eventually!!

Thank you!

Sunnyx Mon 06-Nov-17 16:47:06

I have Ewan and I haven’t found it helpful at all really. I play white noise on an app to drown out other noise mainly, but it may also have a soothing effect to...

I also ebf and my lb is 6 months. He settles himself when I put him down at night after his bath but struggles with naps although he can do it sometimes.

I was in a habit of feeding to sleep and thought he needed it. One day I thought I’m going to try putting him down just when he stops swallowing, rouse him a bit so he’s awake and put him down! It worked and has done every night since maybe he was 4 1/2 months old.

dontquotemeondailymail Mon 06-Nov-17 16:51:28

Didn't work for us at all, but did work wonders for a friends' baby - different strokes I guess!

TwinkleStars15 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:52:14

Ewan only stays on for 20 minutes so bot that great. Try Ollie the Owl who stays in consistently or download an App on your phone. Good luck x

museumum Mon 06-Nov-17 16:54:31

Ewan helped us loads. And the white noise helped me get back to sleep after a feed too!
I liked that it turns itself off.
Don’t bother with the light - it really drains batteries.

Fannyfannakerpants Mon 06-Nov-17 16:55:53

Yes. I found it worked great but it takes babies just over 20 mins to get in to a deep sleep and ewan only lasts 20. It makes no difference to sleep but their customer service is the best of any company that I've had to use.

GinUnicorn Mon 06-Nov-17 16:58:04

It's okay. Looks creepy though. Personally I'd stick to an app of white noise. I like sound sleeper

ItchySeveredFoot Mon 06-Nov-17 17:02:26

Bought one when dd2 was a few months old and I think it really did help. She's just about to turn 1 and it's helpful to take when we stay somewhere else to keep her routine.

BelfastSmile Mon 06-Nov-17 17:03:12

@GinUnicorn** * Looks creepy though.*

You wash your mouth out! Ewan is the cutest thing ever!

OP, we love Ewan here. We have two of them ("Baa" and "TwoBaa"). The original no longer works and has had his electronic bits removed so he could go in the washing machine, but the newer one still sings. I think it helps create a nice soothing atmosphere at bed time. On its own it doesn't get DD to sleep, but with other things (dark room, bedtime story etc) it plays its part!

TittyGolightly Mon 06-Nov-17 17:04:30

9 weeks.

9 weeks.

By rights he should still be inside you. Highly unlikely he has the neural development required to self settle. Major reality check needed.

MrsBriteSide Mon 06-Nov-17 18:01:01

I'm a fan of Ewan. I started using it at 5 weeks old and it seemed to help DD get off to sleep in her crib. We still use it now at 6 months old for naps in her cot and at bedtime. She's used to it now so it's a good sleep cue. I don't bother with the light, just the white noise sound.

MrsBriteSide Mon 06-Nov-17 18:04:23

Forgot to answer your question on tips for self settling! I highly recommend trying a dummy. My DD was breastfed and it stopped her using my boob for comfort all the time. It was a massive help for me. From 10 weeks old I could pop her in her crib at bedtime with the dummy and Ewan on and she would settle herself to sleep. Sometimes it could take 30 mins or so of popping back in to reinsert dummy (and switch Ewan back on) but it worked a treat. Good luck!

Bostonbullsmumma Mon 06-Nov-17 19:07:01

Thanks everyone. The reviews all seem too good to be true so it's good to hear he does actually work!

@tittygolightly I know he's 9 weeks I did say to get into a routine eventually!! I don't see any harm in asking for advice and having 2 young children to put to bed anything that may soothe the baby for a few minutes would help enormously. I think telling me I need a reality check is ridiculous!

LazyDaisy6 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:32:28

The Sound Sleeper app is great. We found Ewan didn't really last long enough and he also wasn't loud enough!

GinUnicorn Tue 07-Nov-17 13:20:04

Belfast smile I think it's the eyes! Definitely creepy wink

Metalhead Tue 07-Nov-17 14:15:35

We’ve got an app called SleepySounds, as well as Ewan. Agree with previous posters that Ewan is very quiet (definitely not loud enough to drown out any outside noises), and the fact it turns itself off after 20 mins can be really annoying when baby is just about to drop off! With the app you can set the time limit yourself or just leave it on the whole night.

Fourneedles Tue 07-Nov-17 14:18:10

Mine hated it. Cried whenever I switched it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now