Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
Lucymarie96 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:38:40

Recently I have been putting my baby girl in bed with me on her second feed in the night.. I have been breastfeeding her whilst laying on my side, we both end up falling asleep,
The professionals reckon you shouldn’t co-sleep so I am really not sure if I shouldn’t be breastfeeding when laying in bed.
Any advise would be really appreciated xx

teaandbiscuitsforme Sun 05-Nov-17 21:10:05

Have you looked up the safe cosleeping guidelines?

I cosleep with my 10mo old, have done from birth and I did with my daughter too. If you plan to sleep with your baby, it’s much safer than falling asleep sitting up or in a chair. You must make sure the bed is clear so no loose blankets on her (put her in a sleeping bag) and no pillow or duvet near her. I do have a pillow but I lie right on the edge and keep my arm between the pillow and DS. I also have the quilt up to the my waist and tuck it right under me so it can’t get loose. My husband normally sleeps in another room but he does come in with us sometimes.

I love cosleeping and feeding lying down is brilliant because you don’t wake up as much and the baby doesn’t wake up as much. If you want to cosleep, you have to take some precautions and make sure you are more minimising the risks as much as you can, just the same as you would doing anything with your child.

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 05-Nov-17 21:23:13

Co-slept and fed lying down with both of mine for past a year each - more with DS2 because I’d realised by that stage what a perfect coping strategy it was.

I did similar to tea but never let DH in the bed while I was co-sleeping. He rolled over and slept soundly on the dog one night before we had DCs, so there was no way in hell he was bed-sharing with babies.

Breastfeeding mothers have a ‘safety catch’ when it comes to co-sleeping, apparently which more than one HV actually mentioned - you don’t roll onto your baby, the same way you don’t roll out of bed. As long as you have a firm mattress (i.e. so you sinking into it doesn’t make baby roll towards you) and their sleep space is free from duvets and pillows, it’s grand and the way breastfed babies are designed to sleep.

PossumBottom Sun 05-Nov-17 21:36:15

I've also done planned bed sharing since my second was born. If you don't drink or smoke, remove any covers and have a hard mattress your baby is extremely safe.

Main hazards are babies getting trapped eg between bed and wall, or under a pillow. This won't happen if you place baby deliberately (ie youre not falling asleep with them in your arms) and if you make the space safe. Look up where to put baby -at Brest height and on their back- there's plenty of images. Happy sleeping!

Lucymarie96 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:03:17

Thank you so much ladies this makes me feel a lot better, I would hate to stop as i really do love co sleeping xx thanks so much this has made me feel much better xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now