Talk

Advanced search

4w/o Ds has trapped wind....talk to me about winding

(21 Posts)
Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:06:11

So hes been writhing about since about 4.30am with what i guess Is wind waking himself up, kicking\stretching his legs, grunting, straining. Also sounds rattly every so often on chest.

What can i do? Tried patting over the shoulder etc. Seems so uncomfortable. Hes bf. Any other tricks?

KatnissMellark Sun 05-Nov-17 09:08:25

Tummy massage-find a lesson on YouTube.

Bicycle his legs very gently

Walk up and down the stairs

Infacol/gripewater

Good luck. Remember it's just a phase. Try to stay sane!

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:22:03

Thanks. How long is this phase?

KatnissMellark Sun 05-Nov-17 09:25:56

Depends on the baby... It lasted a long while with my DS as he has allergies which we had to work out and eliminate. It does get better and much easier though. Do you have someone with you? Can other half burp/wind after you've fed? I also found stopping and winding every 5 mins or so helpful rather than letting it build up and having a lot to get up at the end.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 05-Nov-17 09:27:43

DS used to get his wind up more easily if I lay him on his tummy across my knees and rubbed/patted his back. Not sure if you've tried that?

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:33:28

Hmm ok will try that

EgremontRusset Sun 05-Nov-17 09:41:23

We found we had to wind DS much more firmly than we thought. The HV advised that he was not in fact made of glass and had survived childbirth so would be entirely unharmed by some more vigorous winding!

Lemondrop99 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:55:36

I feel you pain! Mine grunts and farts through the night

I sit my 4 week old on me knee and wind by patting his back. A midwife showed me to gentle bend him back and forward at the waist, then side to side, then gentle circles. Just a few times each then back to patting, cycle through. This often brings up a burp. We're using Infacol too.

Annoyingly a lot of his discomfort is gut wind which I can't get out like burps.

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:56:21

Ok great thanks.

Hes been sick alot, curdy milk. Is this likely to be reflux or dreaded colic??

demirose87 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:16:11

My 5 week old is full of wind and making it hard to feed. I find it helps if i give him a really good winding over my shoulder mid feed and afterwards. Also gripe water helps a bit too.

ememem84 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:42:15

Ah wind. Ds (6 weeks today) struggled with it. We feed him (either bf or formula) and then keep him sat upright for a bit and then bend him forwards and sideways a bit. And then pat/rub his back. When I then ooo him up on my shoulder he usually lets out the most enormous burp.

We’ve also had success lying him down and cycling his legs which produces wicked farts.

I’ve found taking a break while feeding (easier with a bottle than with bf though) helps reduce the wind.

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:49:37

Will a wedge under bed help? Although he sleeps on side

FATEdestiny Sun 05-Nov-17 11:49:51

Tried patting over the shoulder etc

When you do that, does baby do a burp?

Swearwolf Sun 05-Nov-17 11:55:28

My youngest had bad wind and what worked for her was wiggling - I used to put her up on my shoulder and kind of roll her around gently or sway side to side. Was the only thing that worked!

mintich Sun 05-Nov-17 11:56:16

Dentinox colic drops brought up all my daughter's wind.
Winding over shoulder never worked for me. I used to sit her on my knee holding her chin, then rubbing and patting her back. Sometimes lifting their arms up in that position helps too

Lemondrop99 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:18:14

Oh and I've been told to pat the lower back and to cup my hand to I'm patting both sides of his back.

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:59:28

Managed 1 big burp in about an hour. He sleeps but starts crying going red and wakes himself.

Would a wedge help or lift his sleepyhead? Hes exhausted

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:40:16

Well hes been doing this all day and its been awful watching him. Hes just done a giant poo though which went through nappy, babygro, sleepsuit and my top....could that be it - a bad tummy???

Seems happier now.

Anyone else experience this? Up until today hes been doing anywhere between 4 and 8 poos a day. Today this has been the only one.

Lelly0503 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:51:31

As baby grows they poo less, I noticed at around the 4/5 week mark it went from multiple poos a day to every other day. As long as they are weeing regularly it’s not a problem, some only poo once a week I think. At 4 Weeks each day is something new, new sleeping patterns feeding patterns, new nappy patterns. Unless it was something of concern, I just rode each new thing out and put it down to thier bodies learning how to work. I found laying ds on his side and rubbing patting his back helped. Or after feeding doing a nappy change and the motion of lifting him back up would bring the wind up.

Jellybabie3 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:42:03

Ok thanks. Defo seems to have eased his pain. Seriously hope it doesnt happen again tomorrow! Looks so painful

crazycatlady5 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:10:03

Definitely look up baby massage for tummy on YouTube. Great videos on there and really got my little one trumping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now