Talk

Advanced search

Sleepyheads - what are they all about/are they any good?

(32 Posts)
thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:39:03

Hi all. Currently pregnant with #2. DS is nearly 5 so it’s a fair old while since I’ve done the whole baby thing. Seen Sleepyheads mentioned in various places, not heard of them before. They look good but expensive!

Are they amazing? Is it something I should get? FWIW DS hated sleeping on his back as a newborn and rolled on his side as soon as he was able. Hated the Moses basket, liked sleeping on us. Sleepyhead looks useful if #2 is similar.

Would you recommend it? Thanks.

crazycatlady5 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:39:57

IT IS THE BEST THING I PURCHASED FOR BABY

grin

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:41:04

Oh my such a quick and enthusiastic reply! grin

Starwhisperer Fri 03-Nov-17 09:42:29

I Think my opinion is very rare but it did nothing for either of my twins.

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:43:15

Ok thanks. Could you both expand on why please?

crazycatlady5 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:43:24

@thepatchworkcat hehe! I’m a big fan smile

Starwhisperer Fri 03-Nov-17 09:44:25

They just don't sleep any better with it than without.

PurplePillowCase Fri 03-Nov-17 09:44:34

they are banned in the us because they are not safe if used incorrectly.

crazycatlady5 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:44:40

Sorry cross post. My little one hated being on her back and hated being put down in general. It wasn’t like a magic thing but helped massively. Especially if I warmed the sleepyhead mattress, I was able to start putting her down for longer and longer. She slept on her side in it though as she just flat out refused to lie on her back and it felt safe as it’s very snug x

welshweasel Fri 03-Nov-17 09:45:24

Loved ours. DS slept well in it (but may have been a good sleeper anyway) but I loved how portable it is. We used it for all daytime naps (on the sofa, dining room table, floor, wherever we were) then in the evening DH would stay up and do late night feed, settle him in the sleepyhead and carry him up and put him in the cot next to me without waking him. Used instead of a travel cot for the first few months, took it on holiday etc. Basically meant he always slept in the same 'bed' wherever we were.

crazycatlady5 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:46:56

but I loved how portable it is

Yes, this too!

2CatShapurr Fri 03-Nov-17 09:49:11

We had them for our twins and they are great. They could nap in them on the sofa in the day and then at night the whole thing could be picked up and put in the cot or travel cot without waking them. They were also easy to take to other people’s houses for them to nap in there. They lasted us until they were about 8/9 months (much longer than a Moses basket would have). My son liked his so much he has the grand sized one (now aged 20 months). Totally recommend!

peachy94 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:51:50

It’s AMAZING DD hated her Moses basked but slept great in her sleepyhead. DS would only sleep on his tummy as a baby so I bought it in hope that DD wouldn’t end up on her tummy to and it worked

PurplePillowCase are they not dock a tots in the US?

Nottalotta Fri 03-Nov-17 09:53:42

Brilliant. I had one for dc2 and so wish I'd got one for my first. The baby feels snuggled in them so settles better. Dc2 didn't like just being on his backr in the cot and had reflux but the sleepyhe ad on a cot wedge was brilliant. Also yes you can take it around the house for naps, with you if you stay away etc . He's frankly massive and still starts the night in it at 8 months .

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:54:51

Thanks everyone, bit of research required I think...

Julesbegone Fri 03-Nov-17 09:58:26

Yes @peachy94 and @PurplePillowCase they are just sold under a different brand name and not ‘banned’ at all. It’s really unhelpful to come on here throwing around false information, especially when the OP is looking for practical advice.

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:58:33

Looks like there have been some concerns here too with similar products but maybe not the sleepyhead itself... www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/06/uk-retailers-halt-sale-of-baby-sleep-positioners-after-us-warning

Sipperskipper Fri 03-Nov-17 09:59:28

My dd loves hers, still in it at 5.5 months. Putting her in her own room soon and will put that in her big cot so it will hopefully help the transition (she’s currently in a snuzpod next to my bed - another great purchase!)

RedPandaMama Fri 03-Nov-17 10:03:29

Unpopular opinion but my DD hates it, so glad my SIL lent us hers and we didn't pay that much for one as she just refuses to even lay in it to play. She's nearly 12 weeks old and just won't have it!

moggle Fri 03-Nov-17 10:07:31

Just for an opposing POV (well not really opposing)...we never got one for DD (3) and she slept fine. I mean not through the night from birth or anything, she would wake up to feed once until about 8m or so, but after the first 6 weeks or so she settled pretty well in her bedside cot or moses basket with a dummy. I was happy enough not spending the money.

Having said that I'm now expecting twins so never say never! Plus we are currently trying to get DD off the dummy so maybe if it meant the twins never needed a dummy I might be tempted! But still, cost x2, we really can't afford £250. And then you hear stories that you have to buy the next size up too because they won't sleep in a cot without being in a nest.
I would probably try rolled towels under the sheet before I committed to spending that. And though I know there have never been any awful news stories about the sleepyhead, honestly I just could never be 100% convinced of safety of putting anything at all in a newborn's bed compared to just a nice flat clear mattress. I'm sure if I was desperate enough I would, but I wouldn't personally buy one before the baby was here.

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 10:09:07

Sipperskipper Snuzpod looks good, thanks

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 10:11:14

Cheers everyone. Just running through in my mind all the difficulties we had with DS re sleeping/feeding etc and hoping to be prepared for similar! Of course we might get one of those mythical, angelic, placid babies this time that I keep hearing about...grin

BriechonCheese Fri 03-Nov-17 10:12:03

There were a few threads about them recently

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3053070-To-get-rid-of-the-sleepyhead

A family member recently asked us to buy one and after some research between the two of us, she decided against it in the end.

thepatchworkcat Fri 03-Nov-17 10:23:32

Oh thanks Briechoncheese hadn’t seen that, I’ll take a look

BriechonCheese Fri 03-Nov-17 10:41:45

Wasn't shutting down your thread by the way! Just thought the discussion abouy their dangers was pertinent here.

Let us know what you decide. I'm TTC another and would love to know more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now