Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby hammock - help tummy sleeper?

(11 Posts)
Jodes1211 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:08:33

Hi all!
I have a 6 week old who has decided to stop sleeping in her Sleepyhead and only sleep on her tummy. Now I know all the guidelines and how this isn't safe so I'm desperately trying to get her to stop but nothing seems to work!! The only way she sleeps at night is next to me but I sometimes still wake to find her on her belly or side which scares the life out of me!! shock
So.... I've been looking into baby hammocks and my question is has anyone had a little one who has taken to a hammock despite only sleeping on their tummy previously? I don't want to spend money on something that realistically won't work (which I did with my first!) but holding out hope that this will be the miracle worker! grin
If this isn't the answer I think I'm going to have to just let her sleep on me and stay awake but I did that with my first and it nearly finished me off! grin

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Nov-17 20:49:04

At 6 weeks old the most likely reason for baby not settling well is a feeding issue.

Have you tried the basics of a full tummy, tight swaddle, dummy, swaying and puting down?

Jodes1211 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:10:02

She goes off to sleep absolutely fine and will stay asleep as long as she's on someone or on her tummy. It's as soon as I try to put her down on her back her eyes ping open!!
I thought the position and movement of the hammock may help as she'll sleep in her car seat which I suppose is similar...

DinoMania Fri 03-Nov-17 06:05:29

Are there risks with this baby hammock too though?

My 4 month old has been sleeping on his front since he was 2 months old. We were advised to try him on his front when he had a really bad cold as sleeping on his back was making him choke and struggle breathing.

I think you have to look into the risk properly and decide.

We've allowed our son to continue sleeping on his front as it's the only way he will sleep.

Good luck xx

Hoviscats Fri 03-Nov-17 06:24:10

Ds2 is now 15 months and he had silent reflux brought on by a milk allergy from about 2 weeks old. After several nights of sitting up with him and him only sleeping on me, someone suggested putting him down on his tummy and he slept for 4 hours straight! He has been a tummy sleeper ever since. I took the view it was safer for him to sleep like that than it was for him to sleep on me and for me to be like a zombie. I did worry about it for a few weeks so I understand your hesitation!

BoutrosBoutros Fri 03-Nov-17 06:28:49

Both mine were exactly the same. We had a hammock which we used with DS1 and it did help a bit but in the end I felt tummy sleeping (following SIDS guidelines to the letter for everything else) was the least risky option. So we mainly used the hammock for naps downstairs where I could keep an eye on him. I liked it at the time but then didn't use it with DS2 much!

Good luck, the lack of sleep is awful but it won't last forever (even if it feels like it will!)

Jodes1211 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:01:32

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!
DinoMania - there are some hammocks that are safe for night sleeping but they're quite expensive so don't want to throw money away if she won't even entertain it! I've done lots of reading up but most of what I can find is anti tummy sleeping and doesn't help me stop worrying!
I totally agree that a zombie mummy is not good Hoviscats! I think if my little one was uncomfortable on her back then I'd make the call to put her on her front. Hopefully she'll learn to roll quick so I don't need to worry about it soon!
Thank you BoutrosBoutros, yes lack of sleep is a killer but I'm hoping that we'll find a solution soon! We co-slept last night with her on her back so maybe that's our solution for the time being.

TittyGolightly Fri 03-Nov-17 10:07:06

DD slept on me for most of the first 4 months then in a hammock (amby nature’s nest). It was wonderful —until she worked out how to get out of it at 8 months and she had to go into a cot! She liked movement and we could swing the hammock quite vigorously to get her off to sleep. grin

Not aware that it’s any riskier than any other sleeping place a baby may find themselves.

TittyGolightly Fri 03-Nov-17 10:08:45

Ours was given to us by a friend, who had bought it from someone else. DD was the 5th baby to use hers (with a new mattress).

3 of her cousins have used it since.

All healthy and loved and no problems with it.

TittyGolightly Fri 03-Nov-17 10:08:56

Actually 4 cousins. smile

Jodes1211 Sat 04-Nov-17 05:05:37

Great to hear that the hammock was such a success for so many babies, TittyGolightly! Maybe I will invest after all...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now