Talk

Advanced search

Not enough naps?

(2 Posts)
ReedFoxE Thu 02-Nov-17 11:14:43

So my 3 month old has finally started taking proper naps during the day rather than just falling asleep for 20 minutes here and there, but from what I've gathered from speaking to other moms and reading up on it, he's still not sleeping enough during the day?

From what I've read he's supposed to be taking 3/4 naps a day, getting around 3-4 hours sleep in total. But he wakes up at around 8:30, takes his first nap at about 10:30 for an hour, he'll sleep for around 30/40 mins in the early afternoon, and then another hour at around 3. Then we do bedtime at about 7/7:30. I put him down awake but drowsy and he settles himself to sleep pretty quickly, and he won't wake up or fuss much during his naps, so he's getting a good block of sleep I suppose.

I know it's not far off what he should be having, but sometimes he doesn't even sleep for that early afternoon nap, meaning he's only napping for 2 hours in total?? He seems happy enough with these naps, he's a bit fussy if he doesn't have that early afternoon nap, but then he falls asleep in his bouncer/on his mat for about 20 minutes and then seems fine again.

I don't know if I'm just worrying too much but I was a really bad sleeper as a baby and my parents had a nightmare with me as a I got older, so I want to try and start good sleep habits for him early haha

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Nov-17 13:30:08

Instead of looking at how long he sleeps for and how many naps, move your focus to awake time.

2 hours awake time is very long for this age. I'd suggest 90 minutes at most, in the range of 60-90 minutes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: