Talk

Advanced search

Chicco Next To Me Mattress

(11 Posts)
NamesNamesAndMoreNames Wed 01-Nov-17 15:37:00

I have been given a second hand Chicco next to me. A friend used it for her two babies but it is less than 3 years old.

My research suggests that I need to replace the mattress. The 'official' mattress replacement is £40 and includes the baseboard MDF.

I can see cheaper mattresses available online. They are half the price which is appealing but don't include a board at the bottom. We could very easily dismantle the old mattress so we can reuse the board (which I assume is fine) and then we can place the new mattress on the original board.

My main question though is, is it safe to buy a 'non official' mattress. How do I know the website is reliable and that it conforms to safety standards etc?

Or would you advise just spending the £40 on the proper deal?

Anyone had this crib and care to advise?

Babyiwantabump Wed 01-Nov-17 15:39:37

I’d advise just spending the £40 - I ordered a replacement mattress cheaply from a different source and it had an inch gap all around the edge - in the end after ordering many others we just ordered from the manufacturer! Cost more organising refunds and paying for poastage from others in the long run I wish we had just gone direct to the manufacturer!

reallyorange Wed 01-Nov-17 15:43:11

I'm expecting my second dc and thought the mattress you get with it was crap, just a piece of foam and board. Definitely getting a new one for dc2, probably from babymattressesonline - got some fitted sheets made up for it last time and they were good.

RD82 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:08:22

I too thought the mattress that came with it was crap, so hard. I know they should be firm but it felt really cheap & thin. I ended up using sleepyhead in ours.

BerryBee Thu 02-Nov-17 06:31:04

Like PP I think the mattress you get with the chicco is awful. I'm not surprised my baby wouldn't sleep in it. Our chicco became our sleepyhead holder! I do wonder if the mattress wasn't so awful whether my DD would've slept in it!

user1499786242 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:15:42

Not your actual question but I put a blanket under the fitted sheet on the mattress
Softened it up slightly but not too much
My little one wasn't a great fan and we ended up bed sharing anyway🙈🙈

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 02-Nov-17 10:17:58

I must be the only person with a baby who has slept beautifully on the Chicco mattress 🙈

Lemondrop99 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:19:52

I got a new mattress for £12 off Amazon and think it's fine. It fits well and the original board is separate so is easy to reuse with the new mattress.

ClaireFraser Thu 02-Nov-17 10:41:46

We just had a new mattress made to measure for it. Cost about £25, met all the British safety standards. Reused the baseboard and washed the cover.
Also machine washed the covers in the main part of the cot.
Can’t remember website but think I just googled made to measure cot mattresses uk.

mamamalt Thu 02-Nov-17 10:59:58

My baby also slept beautifully on Chicco mattress. I think as adults we would have preferences and find it hard but babies are meant to lie as flat and firm as possible for safety reasons. I think they probably don’t mind it as they don’t know any different!

Dunzo Sat 04-Nov-17 07:51:26

We had a made to measure one bought online and baby slept well on it. It felt really comfy. We re-used the board with no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now