Talk

Advanced search

How to stop co-sleeping AND breastfeeding! Eek

(3 Posts)
Tryingtodoitall Wed 01-Nov-17 13:41:46

Hi

We have intentionally co-slept with our 13 month old DD since day 1. She is breastfed and comfort feeds several times throughout the night.

Our routine at the moment is getting her to sleep in the pushchair downstairs until we go to bed and I take her up with me. She also takes her nap in the pushchair. I’ve attempted to put her in her cot a few times but even when fast asleep she’s screamed as soon as her head hit the mattress.

Up until now, this has worked for us. However, I’m ready to have my bed back with just me and my DH. And, I'm also ready to stop breastfeeding. I don’t feel like I can get her out my bed until I do stop as she does it so often throughout the night.

I have no idea where to begin. Advice? Tips? Experience? I’m feeling daunted…

crazycatlady5 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:57:48

The best way might be the Jay Gordon method, have a look into that. Might mean you need to sleep elsewhere (sofa or similar?) for a few days/however long it takes and daddy sleeps with her and comforts her throughout. When you move her to her own room have you thought about a floor bed instead of a cot?

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 01-Nov-17 14:17:44

So do you want her to go to sleep in a cot or a bed now? And how long are you willing to take over this?

I started to night wean and put my DD in her own bed at 16mo. She’d always refused a cot and I figured she’d only ever slept in a bed so we’d try a single bed.

I started by cosleeping and BF in her bed to get her to sleep, then I’d go in with her when she woke. Then we gradually changed it so I’d go in for the first wake up, DH for others, then DH took over any wake ups and eventually DH started putting her to bed.

It took about 4 months though because we were so gradual but it went really well and she loves her bed now!

I’m certainly considering the same for my 10mo old DS in a few months. Possibly a floor mattress that I’ll feed to sleep on, cosleep when necessary but I can escape back up my bed (if I haven’t fallen asleep!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now