Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby stirring for hours!

(16 Posts)
komaldb92 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:14:39

Hey all!

My son seems to stir for what seems like hours during his sleep. While he is certainly asleep, he seems awfully uncomfortable and the noises keep my husband and I up!

Any ideas what it could be? Seems a lot worse after a feed - we thought perhaps it might be gas (he is notoriously difficult to burp!).

Video below!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8WloNhFtdg&feature=youtu.be

x

komaldb92 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:16:04

I forgot to add, he is 7.5 weeks and takes between 4/5 ounces per feed (formula fed on comfort milk).

LapinR0se Wed 01-Nov-17 11:43:07

He is very cute. Looks like startle reflex. Have you tried swaddling him?

crazycatlady5 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:44:01

It’s very normal for them to fidget and grunt and things in their sleep at this age. You could try white noise as it helps settle baby but also helped me and my husband sleep through the grunting! I still woke when I needed to/when baby cried x

donkey86 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:59:19

My four week old does that too. She's doesn't move quite as much as in your video, but she makes all those noises, and so loudly! We moved her into her own room at three weeks because of it. I know that's not recommended, but it's worked for us. We're all sleeping better, her included, as we're no longer constantly going to her thinking that she wants soothing when really she's perfectly happy asleep, just grunting.

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Nov-17 20:25:08

Squee! Squishy newborn!

I'd say swaddle. Just a flat sheet will do - take scissors to an old duvet cover or similar to make one. You need about 1.5m along the long length.

mummarosie1 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:50:53

My 19 day old is exactly the same! So hard to tell if she is awake or sleeping. I don't have advice but will be watching for others reply. Mine doesn't like swaddling /(

BeanSprout79 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:57:47

I have no answer to it but my lo does it too. I’m so pleased that it’s not just mine as was starting to worry as he does it all through the night and is so loud. I’m glad it’s normal/natural.

Wiggles9408 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:00:13

Awh!!! Gorgeous little boy!

I would definitely advise swaddling as their startle reflex can shock them into waking but the grunting noises could be down to gas or even a bit of reflux especially if he’s feeding close to bed time, maybe try a cot wedge, it elevates them to a slightly raised level which is fine for sleeping as essentially their still laid flat but the angle can help them bring up gas during the night a little easier and also prevent reflux if that’s travelling up when laid completely flat out smile my dd was the same, we used to let her on her side (not everyone’s agreed) but she enjoyed that and even now at 6mo she makes the odd grunt but not as many since we got the wedgehog! grin

Good luck!

timeforabrewnow Thu 02-Nov-17 09:01:58

Our first two did that - we called it 'chuntering' - both had quite bad colic as well. They do grow out of it..can't remember when though!

peanut2017 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:02:50

Aw so cute. My little one did this too but when we got the sleepyhead this stopped. It is expensive but we are still using it at 6.5 months old. Making me broody - what is wrong with me smile

LazyDaisy6 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:05:41

I second white noise! Sent baby to sleep and drowned out the grunting and snuffling grin

Lemondrop99 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:50:56

Our almost 4 week old does this. With him, it's almost certainly st least partly wind - gut wind, not burps. He wriggles and grunts and farts all night! He seems to sleep through it most the time though, it just wakes me up!! We've started him on Infacol although not sure if it's helping yet

chinalass Thu 02-Nov-17 22:53:42

Earplugs! Infacol! It’s a bit refluxy. Will grow out by 12 weeks when more developed. Bless so so so adorable - remember it so well. Makes me incredibly broody!

Sipperskipper Fri 03-Nov-17 06:52:04

Cute! My dd (now 5.5 months) was exactly the same. Things that helped us:
Swaddle
Infacol
Wind really well
White noise (still uses it now!)
Earplugs for you

Tink1987 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:08:08

My 5 week old is the same. He suffers with wind a lot and also had infant gaviscon for reflux. He still does it even after having the dentinox and gaviscon. My daughter was the same and it just got better with age x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now