Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Waking at 4.30am!

(4 Posts)
Eleast Wed 01-Nov-17 10:06:51

My LO is 15 months and he’s always been a bit of an early riser. Normally up by 7am at the latest. He went through a phase in the summer when he was getting up at 4.30-5am and then he just stopped and went back to 6.30.
And now the clocks have gone back and I’m so so tired. He’s up between 4.45-5am every morning and I don’t know how to stop it. He normally has a two hour nap in the morning around 10-12 and sometimes a cat nap around 3pm but because he’s up early he’s napping from 9-11 and then so grumpy and tired by 3 the other day he slept 2.30-4 which is unlike him.
Come his bedtime at 6.30 he doesn’t want to play most nights he’s asleep by 6 because he won’t settle. He does sleep through. I’ve tried getting him to settle at 5am and he won’t and he starts crying which wakes our eldest. He’s not well either he hasn’t eaten a meal for me in over a week. The dr has given him antibiotics to as she thinks he has an ear infection and he’s cutting three molars. I don’t know if this is all a phase. He ate food at nursery yesterday but nothing for me.
Anyone have a clue?

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Nov-17 18:40:02

If you have moved his whole daytime routine back by 1h, it is no surprise he wants to go to bed early and wakes early. You need to shift his whole daytime routine to its 'correct' time, or it's never going to be solved.

Yes, that will be hassle. Clocks change always are. But if you just bite the bullet and shift his routine to the right timings, it should all be back to normal within 3 days

Eleast Wed 01-Nov-17 22:03:43

That’s just it I haven’t, I think. I’ve done it so I’m going by the clock time not what time he thinks it is. Does that make sense. So his bedtime is 6.30 even though to him it’s 7.30. His naps have only gotten earlier in the morning because of him getting up so early. Do you think I need to push him to nap later? He gets so grumpy he will literally just stand at my side crying if I keep him awake I feel awful for him.

moreismore Wed 01-Nov-17 22:08:18

Fair warning, this answer is not very technical! I've had this since clocks changed. We co-sleep and still bf so may be a bit different but I basically just kept the room dark and refused to acknowledge he was awake! Not even sure this was a conscious decision as have been soooo tired. It's taken 4 mornings but we had a 6.15 wake up this morning which is on the later side of normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now