Talk

Advanced search

What does a baby sleep in?

(10 Posts)
hodgeheg92 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:15:19

I feel like this is a really silly question but... what blankets do you put a newborn to sleep in/under?

I’ve heard of swaddling and seen baby sleeping bags for sale but I’m not sure what’s best. I’ve also heard of cellular blankets but not really sure what they are! I know he/she would need to be in clothing that is suitable for the room temp but I’m not sure about the rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.s don’t worry, our little one isn’t due until Jan so I’ve got time to learn yet.

willisurvive3under2 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:55:54

I have found Gro bags to be the best - they come in different weights and you can ask get the travel version which is compatible with a car seat/pram for easy transfers. They come with a handy guide on them to show you what tog you need based on the room temperature. You can always add a blanket if you feel the need - I have used cellular blankets in the warmer weather and fleece when it’s chillier.

SIDS guideline say no loose covers, it’s up to you how strict you want to be on that.

I found a sleeping bag to be a great way to establish a routine and DS at 14 months knows exactly that when the bag comes out it means sleep!

Good luck with the new arrival! smile

MrsBriteSide Mon 30-Oct-17 20:57:50

Baby sleeping bags are the best! This is because baby can't kick them off or get them over their face. When my DD was newborn we did use triangular swaddles before moving onto a Gro Swaddle (has poppers to do it up) and then a Gro Bag when she was a bit bigger. She was a summer baby so some nights she just slept in a vest as we had a heatwave (very stressful for me worrying about her overheating!). You obviously won't have that problem. The Gro bags come with a guide as to how many clothes they should wear underneath depending on room temperature which I found really helpful.

The best thing to do to make sure baby is the right temp is to feel down their back/front. They may have cold hands but if their body is warm (but not hot!) you are all good.

A cellular blanket is a knitted blanket with small holes in it. I have one which I pop over DD when she has a nap in her cot rather than bothering to put her in the sleeping bag which she goes in at night time. So it's useful to have one to hand.

So I'd advise getting a couple of triangular swaddle blankets to see if your baby likes being wrapped up. Possibly a Gro Swaddle which has the option of leaving their arms out and definitely sleeping bags for when baby is a bit bigger. The sleeping bags usually have a minimum weight requirement on them so you'll be able to check when your baby is ready to sleep in one. You'll need a few in case of nappy leaks and milk vomit. Fun times!

OuchBollocks Mon 30-Oct-17 21:02:05

Sleeping bags (gro bag, slumber sac etc) have minimum weight limits, around 8lb8 IIRC.

When DS was born he slept tucked tightly into a cellular blanket for the first while. I wouldn't put a newborn into a sleeping bag because they wake and poo so frequently its a total pain getting them in and out until their sleeping patterns consolidate a bit.

FATEdestiny Mon 30-Oct-17 22:22:06

Swaddling is exceptionally useful in early weeks. You dont need anything special for this, just a flat sheet.

Then most people use sleeping bags, they are most useful.

Cellular blankets have jokes in them, so are breathable.

Sipperskipper Tue 31-Oct-17 10:21:04

We tried sleeping bag, blankets etc, but a swaddle was a godsend. Settled her and kept her asleep (she would fight it, but needed to feel enclosed). She was so strong from the day she was born, she always wriggled out of a Muslin sheet, so we bought a miracle blanket swaddle. Best thing we ever did - she’s still in it at nearly 6 months!

DozyDoates Sun 12-Nov-17 20:30:20

Gro bags have been great for my two - not worrying about them being too hot/cold or kicking off covers, though I know not all babies get on with them. Similarly I found swaddling worked well for dc1, but dc2 was having none of it and had to have her arms out at all times!

Smarshian Sun 12-Nov-17 20:37:58

Another sleeping bag fan, stopped me worrying about loose covers over face etc. Many have minimum weight limits so have a look. We used a grosnug to start with which is like a sleeping bag but helps swaddle as well. I think they were from quite a low weight, we used from newborn but she was a 9lb baby so didn't need to worry too much about weight limits.

Smarshian Sun 12-Nov-17 20:39:36

Just had a quick look and the gro snug is suitable from 5lb.

user1493413286 Sun 12-Nov-17 20:44:37

Until my baby was big enough for the sleeping bag I used a swaddling sheet but didn’t swaddle I just tucked under the armpits and under the mattress to make her feel secure then uses cellular blankets. I love the sleeping bag though as I used to get very anxious about the right amount of layers and the blankets being tucked in enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now