Talk

Advanced search

I’m housebound, help!!

(37 Posts)
mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:30:52

I have a 3 year old DS and a 11 week old DS. My 3 year old will start Nursery in January and when I was pregnant I had came up with days out with the two of them.
None of these days out have happened. I tried the park with them and soft play but my 11 week old hates the pram/car seat. I have tried passing the pram so it’s more like he’s being held, toys on the hood of the pram and the bar of the car seat. Nothing helps, he screams the whole time with no break. I have also tried putting him in the pram when he’s happy just in the house and staying with him.
I now avoid going out, which is making my 3 year old a handful as he’s bored (me too) I’m gonna get a sling but I doubt he will like that as he has to be facing away from me to be happy!

crazycatlady5 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:41:24

I would try and ergo360 carrier - I had a fabric sling and my baby hated it but weith the ergo they can look around a lot more

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:59:55

Thank you for your reply!
I know this is my probably a stupid question, what about when it rains? I had two carriers with DS1 but he loved his pram and went straight to sleep in it so I sold the carriers!

crazycatlady5 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:02:26

Oh no that’s a pain! Well when it rains and I use my carrier I just use an umbrella usually smile

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:05:23

I think I will have to order one! They can be used from birth can’t they? I’m losing it being in the house all the time

silkpyjamasallday Mon 30-Oct-17 15:18:23

I second the suggestion of some sort of sling/carrier, it will mean baby is happier and you can be more mobile with your older DS. Maybe see if there is a sling library close to you? Then you can try a few types and see what suits you and baby best.

Mol1628 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:25:10

Do you get the baby out at soft play/the park?

Mine liked being laid down in the baby area, looking at the colours etc. Harder at the park at this time of year. By the summer the baby should be able to sit on a swing etc. It’ll get easier.

I had a close Caboo Sling which was brilliant for the first few months.

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:21:19

I didn’t didn’t end up going, it’s near busy roads so I was holding baby, pushing the pram and holding DS1 hand! It’s just so frustrating having baby screaming the whole time. Feel like I’m leaving DS1 out!
Ds2 doesn’t nap either... I will feed him he will fall to sleep but as soon as I put him down his cute big eyes open and then there is no settling him.

perfectpanda Mon 30-Oct-17 17:27:04

My ds cried non stop in buggy and car seat too. The summer holidays were a nightmare with 2 older dc but sling works well. But on the upside he is now 4.5 months and is so much better in buggy sitting up and looking about. It got better around 4 months. And did long car journey in half term and he didn't scream. So really hope things get better soon

BerryBee Mon 30-Oct-17 18:33:55

I second the ergo baby. You can buy a wet weather cover for it as well which will keep your baby's legs and body warm and dry (you still need an umbrella but you would for yourself anyway!).

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:35:39

I look at other babies when I’m out, sound asleep in the pram and get jealous! Mine is red in the face and screaming. People keep suggesting it’s reflux, as he doesn’t like being still/lay down. But he sleeps fine after his bath in his cot so I don’t think it’s that.

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:36:54

I look at other babies when I’m out, sound asleep in the pram and get jealous! Mine is red in the face and screaming. People keep suggesting it’s reflux, as he doesn’t like being still/lay down. But he sleeps fine after his bath in his cot so I don’t think it’s that.

EightyNine Mon 30-Oct-17 18:56:12

I found that local baby and toddler groups and play dates with friends were the thing that got me through this stage. I managed to find one if not two each day of the week! I use the baby bjorn carrier so LO could face out and kept car journeys under ten minutes.
DS2 is six months now and it's much easier. It will improve for you too soon, don't dispair!

BerryBee Mon 30-Oct-17 18:58:46

I feel your pain. My baby was the same - hated pram and car seat. Not fond of napping! I think she had to get used to the world. She's fine in both buggy and car seat now! It'll get easier. I still go most places with her in ergo though as it is so easy to get about.

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:05:18

Thank you all very much for your replies! I will definitely get a ergo carrier. It’s the only way I could leave the house! I had it so easy with DS1 and at the time thought he was a handful but looking back he was such a easy baby!!

llangennith Mon 30-Oct-17 19:21:56

I don't know what sort of 'pram' you have but if the baby is happy to sleep lying flat in the cot maybe he'd sleep in a bigger buggy where he could lie flat or almost flat.

mamarach26 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:02:47

I have a bugaboo buffallo, he just hates not being held I think! But he’s not just unhappy at being put down, it’s the no movement!

AMagdalena Mon 30-Oct-17 20:38:30

Close Caboo has been great with my pram-hating DD. It did take a few attempts with the sling, though.
She is getting used to the pram as well, although it still occasionally burns her wink

What else can ya do.

Miniwerewolfhugs Mon 30-Oct-17 20:48:12

I always used carriers and slings with my dd, once you get used to them they are actually easier in some ways.

BerryBee Tue 31-Oct-17 05:56:37

The ergo 360 needs an insert to be used from birth I believe but baby can face outwards. The ergo adapt can be used from birth (no insert) but can't face out.

They're expensive but worth it in my opinion.

I do not rate the baby bjorn carriers. The baby's position is not ergonomically correct (they're not in the M position) and I know a lot of people who complain of back pain when using.

LazyDaisy6 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:31:46

I would get the new Ergobaby Omni. No newborn insert needed and you can face them out from 5 (i think) months. We just bought one and sold our Adapt - I LOVE it!

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 31-Oct-17 08:03:01

Definitely a sling! And then try the pram again when he fits in the seat. My DD would never go in the carrycot bit of our pram. Didn’t even attempt it when DS came along!

mamarach26 Tue 31-Oct-17 08:55:24

It looks like a sling/carrier is the answer! I will see if there is a sling library as someone mentioned. Anything to get out of the house

Miniwerewolfhugs Tue 31-Oct-17 09:16:35

Of course a sling means you always have to carry the baby, but the advantages are you have both hands free and its a lot easier over rough ground, steps and so on. I found it great for dog walking and it would probably be good in a lot of activities you might do with your 3 year old such as a park or petting zoo.

mamarach26 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:49:31

They are quite pricey! I will have to get one though, can’t stay in the house any longer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now