Talk

Advanced search

Newborn sleep tips please!!

(11 Posts)
Lozzabell Sat 28-Oct-17 20:45:54

I had my 3rd son 4 days ago... and he’s just gone into the stage of crying as soon as I lay him in his crib.
He’s in a Chicco Next2Me crib so he’s right beside me... and I lay my hand on him/hold his hand etc but nothing works. He feeds (bf), then falls to sleep... I transfer him and within 3 seconds he’s awake twittering... which eventually turns to cry.

The easy option is to pick him up and let him sleep on my chest, which is what I ended up doing with my eldest and middle son... but I reeeeally don’t want to fall into that trap again this time because I don’t sleep properly and it’s a really bad habit to break.

He suffers with wind... and both my other boys had terrible reflux... which I’m guessing will happen again. Which is a nightmare because it means they HATE sleeping on their backs.
Argh!

FYI the crib is elevated at one end. We also have a sleepyhead.

Tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I’m already exhausted 😣😴
I’d really like to nail it before my husband returns to work in a couple of weeks x

m33r Sat 28-Oct-17 20:52:49

lozza i’m In exactly the same position down to the sleepyhead and next to me. My LB is 11 weeks and I resorted to safe and planned co-sleeping but am now trying to ditch it and am really struggling so i’m Watching with interest and sending you sympathy XX

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Oct-17 21:20:48

Try a swaddle and a dummy

You don't need anything fancy for a swaddle - take scissors to an old duvet cover, a thin towel, a flat cot sheet. The swaddle calms the startle reflex and reduces external stimulation, making putting baby down easier.

The dummy is the single best tool for independant sleep without any crying. And IMO is best introduced in the first week.

Lozzabell Sat 28-Oct-17 21:27:59

@FATEdestiny I used to swaddle my second son, my first hated it... and 3rd seems to hate it too sad
Dummy however... I’ve not tried with any of them as I worry it will affect breastfeeding.
Did you use it along with bf?
I’ll get one tomorrow and try it!
Any recommendations on dummy?
Thank you x

user1493413286 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:36:32

I used to take the mattress and blankets out and put them in bed with me while I fed DD so that when she went back into the Moses basket after a feed they would be warm and smell of me so not be such a transition from me to cold bed. I also found a baby sleeping bag really helped for those reasons.

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Oct-17 21:48:47

Yes, I've used dummy alongside breastfeeding (4 children, 3 were breastfed). Dummies are sanity savers for a breastfeeding mum, to give you a break.

I prefer cherry teat dummies. Other people have their own favourites.

m33r Sat 28-Oct-17 21:50:27

I’m persevering with a dummy but it’s tough work... need to try a cherry one I think.

m33r Sat 28-Oct-17 21:50:41

I am also BF

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Oct-17 21:58:10

TMI here (apologies in advanced)...

I think my children were better with cherry dummies because they are quite big teats, they fill the mouth - they're a bulbous shape. I have quite large nipples blush and my children have always had quite a lot of breast tissue in their mouth when feeding. So I do wonder if the cherry test thing is personal to me.

Cherry teat dummies are fairly hard to find now. Most are orthodontic tests. Tommee Tipee do a cherry teat, I think that's it.

Changerofname987654321 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:59:42

My DD slept better with a little in and if I slept with my forehead on her forehead and breathed on her face.

Changerofname987654321 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:00:29

You can’t make bad habits this young but please look up safe cosleeping on the ISIS website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now