Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dream Feed

(3 Posts)
Beachbaby1 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:03:47

DD has just turned 10 months and is still having a 7oz dream feed before we go to bed around 10ish. She drinks the whole bottle and then goes straight back down till morning.

This is her fourth 7oz bottle of the day so drinking around 800ml a day. She is not consistently eating 3 good meals a day - she does eat at breakfast lunch and dinner but the amount varies. She is putting on weight after a rocky start.

So, I feel like I should be aiming to cut the dream feed as I’m worried about her teeth and also conscious that I should be reducing her milk feeds.

My worries are that seen as she drinks it all does that mean she’s hungry or is just habit? If I do cut it out and she wakes in the middle of the night how will I know if she’s hungry or not? Also, she doesn’t drink a lot of water (prefers to dribble it out) so would worry about a lack of fluids.

Shall I just slowly reduce the amount we give her and see how it goes?

Any advice/experience anyone has would be much appreciated!

TIA

FATEdestiny Wed 25-Oct-17 08:39:32

I'd reduce the amount given until you get to 4oz, then start watering that 4oz down. Then once on about 2oz of powder in 4oz water, I'd then go cold turkey.

I also would stop waking her for this feed, but have it available if she does wake.

Then, develop an alternate settling method to use in the night that doesn't involve feeding.

Also, if you haven't already, completely seperate feeding and sleeping at bedtime and naptime. Don't give milk immediately before going to sleep. Give it in a different room, at least 20 minutes before going to sleep and with an activity in between the milk and sleeping (for example teeth brush, a bath, a story).

Beachbaby1 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:13:48

Thanks for the advice Fate. I’m going to stop waking her tonight and see how we go!

Hopefully she won’t get messed up with the clocks going back and have us up at 4.30 shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now