Talk

Advanced search

Moses basket to cot

(11 Posts)
Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:20:48

Not sure what advice I'm looking for really just a bit of hope. I have just put my 5 month old in her cot for the first time. I know 5 months is a long time in a moses basket but for the first 6 weeks I really struggled as she didn't sleep well.

I'm a single parent so when she started sleeping through the night it was a big weight of my shoulders and I'm so scared of going back to the sleepless nights. She usually sleeps 12+ hours a night in her moses basket so I was too anxious about putting her in her cot in case it messed up her sleeping pattern.

She is almost the full length of the basket so I've bit the bullet and tonight she's in her cot. Did anyone find their babies struggled with the transition and have I left it too long now that she will be too attached to her basket?

I know I probably sound nuts but the thought of going back to having no sleep really worries me as I also have a 5 year old to get to school. Shes currently drifting off but it has took a bit longer than usual, she was just wanting to play and fought her way out her swaddling when usually its just a case of putting her down and she falls asleep. Thanks if you read my rambling.

RandomMess Sun 22-Oct-17 19:26:39

I put mine in the Moses basket in the cot for a few days so it wasn’t a whole new environment IYSWIM.

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:01

Random that's what I was planning to do but decided just to go straight in. She's asleep at the moment but if she has a disturbed night I think I might try it. I'm just so anxious about going back to square one when I think about hard the first few days were I feel sick.

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:30:30

*how hard the first few weeks were

BikeRunSki Sun 22-Oct-17 19:33:11

Also try putting a t shirt that you have been wearing in the cot for so she can be comforted by your smell. And make sure the cot is not really cold!

My 2 both transferred from Moses basket to cot very easily, albeit younger (both very tall!)

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:39:39

Bike brilliant idea thank you! Her mattress sheet was just out the tumble dryer so not cold. I managed to get away with it as she's still a bit small for her age but wish I'd done it a couple of months ago before she started rolling etc

RandomMess Sun 22-Oct-17 20:38:52

Mine were actually only a few weeks old - monster babies!

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:31:02

Awww monster babies - she's fast becoming one of those, was only 5lb4oz at birth so still a bit behind but certainly catching up! She's still sound asleep so looks like I was worrying for nothingsmile

RandomMess Sun 22-Oct-17 21:34:01

My tallest was 10lb 6oz... grin

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:41:20

Oh wow grin that was the weight of mine at 3 months shock.

Boringnamechange1 Sun 22-Oct-17 23:54:54

While I have this thread up would anyone be able to recommend me a cot mattress? The one that came with the cot has a really strong chemical smell and after looking the cot up online I don't believe it meets British Standards. I'm not wanting to spend much as I plan on buying a bigger cot after Xmas (the one I have was a gift and after reading some of the reviews I'm not comfortable using it long term). She was settled well for the night but the smell from the mattress was really noticeable so she's in her basket which I've placed in the cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now